For over 110 years Aston Martin has made the most exquisitely addictive performance sports cars.
But no one builds an Aston Martin on their own. Behind these legends and landmarks are hundreds of dreamers, darers and doers who make extraordinary happen, every single day. That’s why the name of everyone who has ever worn our famous wings is inscribed on the wall of our factory.
As we embark on an exciting new era for the business, we need the very best people to write their own chapter on our journey to become the world’s most desirable ultra-luxury British performance brand.
Lead the design of Transmission & Driveline projects from concept to completion.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Cross functional activity co-ordination to deliver Transmission & Driveline systems to powertrain & whole vehicle programme (Design, Simulation, Development, Calibration, plus wider business).
- Drive system architecture definition and concept selection.
- Create overall Transmission & Driveline System SDS, and cascade targets to component SDS owners (inside and outside Transmission & Driveline).
- Lead delivery of robust designs that meet performance, durability, design for manufacture, quality, service & logistical requirements.
- Create and own initial and ongoing BoM.
- Ensure Transmission & Driveline CAD assemblies are correct.
- Create and manage overall system timing plan, inline with the vehicle programme timing and milestones, identify incompatibilities to Vehicle Line Manager & Head of Transmission & Driveline System Design.
- Transmission & Driveline system DFMEA creation.
- Accountable to ensure DVP is in place to meet programme requirements.
- Support proto and production builds.
- Overall owner of Transmission & Driveline system Final Engineering Sign Off, obtain approvals at key programme milestone (FESO, Final Engineering Certification, deviations) and support design judgement events.
- Ensure cost changes (+/-) escalated.
Qualification & Experience:
- Demonstrable experience in hands-on transmission & driveline design/development roles
- Working understanding of GD&T principles
- Working across functional teams effectively to deliver viable design solutions
- Successful delivery of transmission & driveline hardware projects to production
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes – casting, machining, fabrication, forming, gear cutting and grinding
- Knowledge of vehicle driveline dynamics
- Failure investigations and problem solving
- Managed concern resolution
- Managing and developing external engineering resource
- Leading small design teams
- Following and supporting a production launch
- BOM management
- Driving optimisation through CAE
- Close collaboration with test teams, understanding instrumentation and data analysis
- Working within an OEM environment
- Formal releasing procedures and design change management
- Experience and knowledge of systems interfacing with the transmission & driveline system
- Industry standard dyno and vehicle validation procedures
- Developing design standards
- TeamCentre PLM
- CAD and drawing creation on industry standard CAD packages
- Engineering Degree or equivalent experience
- Industry related courses – Project Management, Leadership, FMEA
- Strong technical skills and understanding of engineering fundamentals
- Creative thinking and problem-solving
- Ability to provide technical direction to the project design engineers
- Strong teamworking skills ensure effective communication and collaboration across functional teams
- Cost awareness
- Independent, proactive, working on own initiative with minimum supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively across the wider business and externally at all levels both formally and informally
- Prepared to take ownership and accountability for commitments and able to escalate where necessary
Belong at Aston Martin
We understand that the incredible beauty, craft and art that defines an Aston Martin comes from the inclusion of our amazing people.
We welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, colour, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs. We celebrate diversity and are seeking applicants who can bring something different. Please speak to us if there is anything you need to support making an application with us.