Specialist Content Producer Design – Creative Media – 97552 – Grade 6
Creative Media, Department of External Relations
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £27,511 to £30,046, with potential progression once in post to £33,797
Closing date – 28th June 2021
There are 2 positions available
We are a full-service agency at the University of Birmingham.
The work we do is across a variety of audiences, numerous clients and sectors – not only education but also arts and entertainment, B2B, charity and construction.
We deliver high quality, innovative solutions across creative, design, digital, media and in print.
This role is key to the agency’s success, developing multi-media creative ideas across a variety of disciplines for high profile and/or strategically important projects. The postholder will have a specialism in design to lead our creative offering to respond to client needs now and in the future.
Summary of Role
You will be responsible for leading the generation of creative ideas for multi-discipline campaigns – producing the very best solutions to help solve client challenges.
You will be responsible for developing ideas and concepts to respond to a brief with an open mind – including but not limited to design, media, digital and in print. You will have the support of specialists in digital and media to help in making big ideas a reality, however you will be able to ideate cross-discipline and have a passion for creative no matter what the discipline.
You will work with the internal creative team and external suppliers to create content, as well as producing content yourself.
You will be passionate about creative, digital media and technology, keep abreast of the latest innovations and trends, continuously develop your skillset and pro-actively put forward ideas to support clients’ challenges and drive business growth.
1. Will use vision to deliver original, highly innovative, multi-disciplined creative solutions to meet client brief within budget. This will include;
- effectively interpreting briefs, researching audiences and developing solutions
- strong idea generation from scamps through to concept development and visual mock-ups
- storyboard and develop outline scripts ideas
- write and edit copy
2. Lead on the content creation for high profile, strategic projects including developing pitch presentations for new business.
3. Management of a team of content producers and responsible for overseeing the team’s creative projects from ideation to delivery.
4. Producing high quality, accurate final files to print and digital specifications, including checking proofs, archiving and filing to the server on a daily basis.
5. As a technical expert you will advise on all areas of design, including scoping projects, equipment, software and feeding into the review and enhancement production and working processes.
6. The role is a task and project driven role that may require work outside of core hours and is driven by schedules and by delivery deadlines. The post holder may therefore be required to work both flexible and extended hours to deliver.
1. Confidently communicate to clients and internal teams, active participation in briefing and feedback meetings, leading on advising from a concept and design perspective.
2. Work closely with and support the Account Management team and attend client meetings to review client briefs, develop ideas and assess or advise on project resource and requirements.
3. Responsible for training and developing the in house team’s skills and assisting with the continual development and enhancement of the team’s creative expertise, including knowledge sharing.
4. Respond to feedback in an appropriate manner, listening and providing advice.
5. Ensure content is accessible to all end users, the regulatory and legal requirements when using media assets such as copyright and intellectual property rights are met, web accessibility is optimised; all content is backed up and archived, and adheres to University brand guidelines.
6. Support and contribute to developing the agency’s reputation, including sharing knowledge, regular contributing to blogs etc.
7. Act as a role model to other members of the team in championing External Relations values and behaviours.
1. Identify new innovation opportunities to support the realisation of the profit target and growth of the agency – through regular horizon scanning and networking to stay abreast of the latest emerging trends and innovations, turning these into recommendations which can be pitched to clients, working with the Head of Creative and Head of Account Management.
2. Identify opportunities for Creative Media to support University objectives by seeking and building relationships with staff across the University as well as external contacts, including developing, maintaining and using professional networks.
3. Promotes equality and values diversity acting as a role model and fostering an inclusive working culture.
4. Continuously develop own skillset to ensure the agency’s creative and design offering meets the needs of the clients now and in the future.
Any other duties as required by the Director of Creative Media/Head of Creative.
- A degree level qualification in a relevant area or equivalent qualifications or relevant equivalent work experience in graphic design, digital and media
- A high level of experience with industry standard packages, including Adobe Creative Cloud, Aftereffects, InDesign Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier Pro, Acrobat and Presentation software, as well as Microsoft Office/PowerPoint to create, edit and post produce content and assets – including concepting, brand creation, brand identity, brand guidelines and development, print design, animation, storyboarding, motion graphics
- A thorough understanding of graphic design, typography and digital standards
- Knowledge of website interface design and usability, HTML, CSS, Dreamweaver
- Experience of using Content Management Systems and publishing web content using a CMS
- Good understanding of web content accessibility guidelines (WCAG) accessibility regulations and creating with accessibility in mind so that all online content meets or exceeds AA legal accessibility guidelines
- Moderate skills to be able to produce basic animations, films (e.g. talking heads), social media videos and photography
- Project management skills including project budget management
- Basic film and photography experience are desirable
- Pitch experience, copy writing skills, awareness of 3D and XR are desirable
- Significant proven experience in industry, agency experience is essential
- A passion for creating content and continuously developing knowledge and skillset
- Confident communicator, able to clearly convey complex ideas or technical details and sell them to the client and internally
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects and keep calm and focused under pressure
- Exceptional attention to detail, maintaining high standards and brand consistency
- Good time management, taking projects from concept through to delivery, on budget and to deadline
- All round knowledge of design processes, including in-depth technical knowledge and user experience
- Pro-active – researching new services/new ways of doing things and proven experience of implementing them
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a ‘can-do’ problem solving attitude to build and maintain positive relationships
- Demonstrative experience of working with commercial brands
- Line management experience is desirable
- Experience in regards to basic media production including camera, lighting and editing is desirable
- Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.