Institute of Applied Health Research, College of Medical and Dental Sciences
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £45,585 to £54,395 with potential progression once in post to £61,198
Full Time, Fixed Term contract up to December 2025
Closing date: 7th January 2024
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced python developer to join our dynamic team. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and developing high-performance, scalable, and reliable healthcare analytics applications using Python. This position requires a minimum of three years of experience in enterprise python development.
- Design, develop, and maintain high-quality data analytics and API services using Python.
- Write clean, efficient, and maintainable Python code to create custom integrations and connectors.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including UX designers, product managers, and other developers to define, design, and ship new features.
- Perform code reviews to ensure that code is optimized, efficient, and conforms to best practices.
- Work with QA engineers to develop and execute test plans.
- Troubleshoot and debug applications to optimize performance and functionality.
- Stay up to date with emerging trends and technologies in python development.
- Master’s degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, statistics, or a related field with at least 3 years of experience in Python.
- Experience in building RESTful APIs, microservices, data analytics dashboards, CI/CD pipelines.
- Strong proficiency in software engineering, agile development methodologies, and design patterns.
- Strong programming skills in Python, SQL, and related frameworks (Flask, FastAPI, etc), containerisation (Docker, Kubernetes), cloud-based services (AWS, Azure, GCP), and other relevant technologies
- Experience in Test-Driven Development (TDD) and Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) practices.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of UK healthcare system and UK healthcare data, and related standards such as HL7, FHIR, and DICOM
- Familiarity with data security and governance principles and practices
Further particulars can be found here
View our staff values and behaviours here
Informal enquiries to Krishna Gokhale email@example.com
We believe there is no such thing as a ‘typical’ member of University of Birmingham staff and that diversity in its many forms is a strength that underpins the exchange of ideas, innovation and debate at the heart of University life. We are committed to proactively addressing the barriers experienced by some groups in our community and are proud to hold Athena SWAN, Race Equality Charter and Disability Confident accreditations. We have an Equality Diversity and Inclusion Centre that focuses on continuously improving the University as a fair and inclusive place to work where everyone has the opportunity to succeed. You can find out more about our work to create a fairer university for everyone on our website.