Senior Clinical Tutor in Restorative Dentistry – School of Dentistry – 97380 – Clinical Salary
School of Dentistry, Institute of Clinical Sciences
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £33,885 to £63,037.
Full Time – Fixed term until 31st August 2022 and then moving to part-time to 60% from the 1st September 2022 on a Permanent basis
Closing date 15 June 2021
We are seeking a Senior Clinician in Restorative Dentistry to support the school’s senior management team and the liaison with our NHS partners. To work under the direction of the Head & Deputy of School. To undertake clinical teaching and associated administrative duties including progress monitoring and feeding into the schools reporting processes. To take responsibility for the safety and wellbeing of patients under student care supporting the placement provider in clinical governance surrounding student led treatment. To ensure that patient treatment by students is carried out with minimal trauma, and discomfort, ensuring control of cross-infection and not involving any danger to patient health. The care of patients takes precedence over academic concerns.
Due to the impact of COVID on dental education, we are increasing our clinical teaching sessions which means in the first instance this post will be full time for one year, following this it will be reduced to 0.6 FTE.
- To work with the Head of School and Education (UG) to liaise with our placement providers to maintain education standards.
- To represent the University at NHS meeting such as DDQC, Head of Service and DMB, where required.
- To ensure the University complies with all NHS policies and procedures relating to clinical care and to be a point of contact.
- To work with the BCHC governance manager relating to clinical care by students.
- Work with key stakeholders within the BCHC to facilitate high quality education for undergraduate students on placements within the individual services.
- Active member of the School’s Senior Management Group and School Executive committee.
- Contribute to the strategic planning and delivery of dental education going forward
- To maintain registration with the GDC and preferably be on the specialist register in Restorative Dentistry
- Active participation in subject group meetings
- Undertake academic course-related administrative tasks, including attendance at Examination Boards, as appropriate
- Undertake appropriate scholarships necessary to maintain effective teaching materials
- To participate in student recruitment activities where appropriate.
- Ability to contribute to School/Unit management processes
- Ability to assess and organise resources effectively
- Clinical supervision of Integrated adult restorative dentistry teaching in Clinical Practice, sedation or specific Specialty Teaching areas including fixed and removable prosthodontics, endodontics, periodontics, simulation environments and occasionally in other areas as required.
- To have academic oversight of Integrated adult restorative dentistry and support the respective phase leads in delivery of clinical education.
- To liaise with the foundation clinical teaching in BDS 2 leads in preparing students for clinical practice.
- To monitor student progress with clinical procedures and to intervene when appropriate.
- To support staff training, calibration and moderation in assessment of clinical care
- Participation in tutorials and lecture programme which may include development of new teaching materials as appropriate.
- Preparation of the required teaching material and conforming to relevant teaching policies, including those published by Specialty Teaching areas. To clarify these policies where necessary through discussion with the area concerned.
- Maintain a professional record of student achievement on a sessional basis including timely assessment.
- To provide input to termly Continuous Assessment reports, collated by the Head of Firm of Clinic.
- Ensure that unsatisfactory performance is explained in a supportive manner and duly noted in records so that they can be substantiated.
- Provide verbal and written feedback to students on strengths and weaknesses as close to the event as possible.
- Participate in examinations including, from time to time, the invigilation, question setting and marking of examination papers.
- To conform to the Clinical Policies of Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust and the School
- To complete clinical documentation as appropriate to the hospital and local teaching area.
- Check student entries for errors or omissions
- Electronically sign the hospital notes
- Sign laboratory cards and IRMER compliant radiography prescriptions.
- Initial clinical stages and items
- Target items according to the Clinical Practice course requirements
- To undertake occasional sessions for patient treatment or screening of patients for recruitment to student clinics.
- Full registration with the UK General Dental Council (GDC)
- Specialist training in Restorative Dentistry would be preferable
- Experience of NHS systems and procedures is essential for carrying out this role.
- Good Team Worker
- Good IT skills and familiarity with electronic clinical records
- Meets the requirements for Occupational Health Clearance and enhanced DBS screening.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, be capable of adapting these to diverse environments including clinic, classroom, lecture theatre, one-to- one situations. Able to communicate with colleagues and students at all levels in a clear, effective and timely manner.
The University is committed to safeguarding and we promote safe recruitment practice, therefore all associated pre-employment checks will be undertaken before any appointment is confirmed. Due to the nature of the work undertaken in this role all successful applicants will be subject to a satisfactory Occupational Health and DBS clearance prior to appointment.
Informal enquiries to Dr Kirsty Hill, K.B.Hill@bham.ac.uk
Further particulars can be found here:http://www.download.bham.ac.uk/vacancies/jd/MDSFPs.pdf
We value diversity at The University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community’
Valuing excellence; sustaining investment