Public Engagement Digital Producer – External Relations – 97410 – Grade 6
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £27,511 to £30,046, with potential progression once in post to £33,797
Full Time/FTC untl 31.08.2024
Closing date – 17th June 2021
The University of Birmingham (UoB) is one of the UK’s first civic universities. Using this as a springboard in 2021 the University will open The Exchange, a £40m civic-facing facility in the heart of the city centre as a focus for its public engagement activities. In anticipation of the opening of The Exchange, UoB established a new Public Engagement function under the leadership of a Director of Public Engagement. The purpose of the new function is to improve the coordination and quality of UoB’s public engagement activities and to ensure high-quality, relevant and audience-facing public engagement that engages the public – regionally, nationally and internationally – in the research, teaching and collections of the University, growing awareness, understanding, reputation and public value.
This is a great opportunity for an ambitious digital content producer to play a key role in transforming the public engagement agenda at a leading University.
In this new role within the Public Engagement team you will develop and deliver digital content relating to the University’s public engagement, establishing and maintaining an impactful digital presence for its public engagement with science and its Collections in order to grow reach, awareness, engagement and reputation.
Working in close collaboration with Public Engagement colleagues, you will be responsible for delivering a portfolio of projects and initiatives. You will also work with colleagues across the University to coordinate digital public engagement content, supporting and enabling researcher/academic-led activities as well as originating, commissioning and delivering content that engages internal and external publics.
a. To work with Public Engagement, External Relations and College staff to help identify research-led annual public engagement themes and research content, and to identify opportunities for new and innovative digital public engagement.
b. To scope, develop and deliver new digitally led opportunities to engage the public in UoB’s research (Project 1) and Collections (Project 2), working with Public Engagement, External Relations, wider UoB staff and any agreed groups representing wider UoB structures.
c. To work with staff across UoB to plan, develop, deliver and coordinate creative, compelling and accurate digital content that reflects research-led public engagement programme activities at The Exchange, UoB campus and elsewhere, to increase the reach, awareness, engagement and impact of UoB’s research with audiences – regionally, nationally and internationally, and ensure that content remains current and relevant across UoB’s digital platforms.
d. To work with Public Engagement and UoB Collections staff to plan, develop and deliver creative, thought-provoking and accurate digital content around UoB’s Collections to increase reach, awareness, engagement and impact, supporting Collections onsite public engagement and learning programmes, as agreed.
e. To enable marketing and promotion of digital engagement activities by helping to prepare an annual public programmes calendar and annual public engagement marketing and communications plan to better coordinate UoB-wide public engagement activity, and especially to coordinate digital and social media content with the Public Programmes Officer, Communications and Digital teams.
f. To provide practical support, guidance and training to staff commissioned outside the Public Engagement team to produce high quality editorial content, including academic staff, students and volunteers.
g. To support the evaluation of public engagement digital activities and programmes as part of a continuous improvement programme.
h. To work with the Public Engagement Officer to maintain accurate records of engagement and usage data and to prepare reports and presentations to support functional reporting and funding applications.
i. To develop expert knowledge and professional practice in digital content production, providing advice and guidance to colleagues across the function and wider University, as necessary.
j. To act as a key interface between the Public Engagement team and the Digital Channel Management team and ensure that all content and initiatives are compliant with related standards, guidelines and legislation.
k. To establish and maintain excellent and respectful relations with UoB colleagues, especially ER staff in Communications and Engagement, Digital and International teams, College-based staff and staff across Professional Services.
l. To participate as an active and responsible member of the Public Engagement team and contribute to the development of policies, strategies and practice that work to remove barriers to public engagement with the University.
m. To represent the Public Engagement function at agreed external events, ensuring that UoB’s research and public engagement activities are promulgated regionally, nationally and internationally to enhance the reputation of the University and to act in every way to preserve the University’s reputation and good name in all areas of work and be fully committed to openness and transparency.
- Educated to graduate level and/or with experience of producing web and social media content within a visitor-facing organisation
- Excellent understanding of digital channels and content commissioning and production processes
- Experience with Search Engine Optimisation
- Experience to Google Analytics, Facebook Insights and other analytics tools
- Experience with Content Management Systems
- Knowledge of industry best-practices, including content delivery standards and usability, including EDI
- Excellent skills in industry-standard Adobe photo, audio and video editing software
- Project Management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with good editorial judgement
- Deep understanding of audiences and public engagement through effective programming – face to face and online
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively across different teams
- Ability to adapt to new challenges and strong teamwork skills
- Demonstrate energy, determination and resilience
- Demonstrate the External Relations Values and Behaviours
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to engage a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively, to persuade and influence, and engage across the University
Dealing with Problems
- Ability to think creatively about opportunities and threats, to face conflict and look for common ground on which to build
- Network across the university to draw on the skills, knowledge and experience in different departments
- Ability to champion Public Engagement internally and externally
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working