Creative Media, Department of External Relations
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £23,699 to £25,458, with potential progression once in post to £29,471
Closing date – 30th November 2021
Previous applicants need not apply.
Our offer to you
eople are at the heart of what we are and do.
The University of Birmingham is proud to have been a part of the City of Birmingham and the wider region for over 100 years, and we are equally proud to be recognised as a leading global university. We want to attract talented people from across the city and beyond, support them to succeed, and celebrate their success.
We are committed to helping the people who work here to develop through our sector-leading Birmingham Professional programme which provides all professional services staff with development opportunities and the encouragement to reach their full potential. With almost 5,000 professional services jobs in a wide-range of functions in Edgbaston and in our campus in Dubai, there are plenty of opportunities for you to be able to develop your career at the University.
We believe there is no such thing as a typical member of staff and that diversity is a source of strength that underpins the exchange of ideas, innovation, and debate. We warmly welcome people from all backgrounds and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment where diversity is at the heart of who and what we are, and how we work.
Supporting our people to achieve a healthy work/life balance is important both to our employees and to the success of the University and, depending on the role, we offer a variety of flexible working arrangements. We therefore welcome discussions on all forms of flexible working. In addition, you will receive a generous package of benefits including 40 days paid holiday a year, one paid day a year for volunteering, occupational sick pay, and a pension scheme. We also have three high quality subsidised day nurseries.
The University is situated in leafy Edgbaston and there are excellent transport links to our beautiful campus, including main bus routes and a train station on site. On campus we have a state-of-the-art sports centre with pool, shops, places to eat and drink, our own art gallery, museum and botanical gardens.
Find out more about the benefits of working for the University of Birmingham
Creative Media is a full-service agency and education specialists, providing services for the University across Professional Services and the five Colleges. Creative Media also has experience across various sectors including arts and entertainment, B2B, charity and construction. We pride ourselves on delivering high quality, innovative solutions across creative, design, digital, motion and film.
This role is key to the agency’s success – ensuring content resonates and is accessible with the target audience, as well as upholding the University’s reputation through well written content that captures the hearts and mind of the target audience.
Summary of Role
This role is responsible for developing written content across a portfolio of projects, including print, digital and media projects. This role will understand the target audience and how print and digital audiences differ and require different approaches. A key part of this role is upholding the reputation of the University through accurate proofreading and ensuring the content Creative Media creates is accessible to all.
The role will be responsible for the promotion of the agency, developing a content and communications strategy and is responsible for the agency’s social media, website updates and case studies, including developing recommendations to drive engagement.
The postholder will work within a multi-disciplined creative team and work closely with clients and colleagues to deliver innovative content for key campaigns across the University.
The postholder will be passionate about creative, digital media and technology, keep abreast of the latest innovations and trends, continuously develop their skillset and pro-actively put forward ideas to support clients’ challenges
They will have strong communication skills, especially in the written word, high attention to detail and a positive persuasive presentation style.
Copywriting & Content Production
• Interpret client briefs and develop high quality, creative written ideas, and content across a broad portfolio of print, digital, social and media projects, including but not limited to campaign straplines, social media content, presentations, film scripts and long form copy.
• Research and create effective, compelling copy for a range of internal and external communications and different audiences, including B2C and B2B
• Collaborate with Content Producers to conceptualise and deliver innovative marketing, communications, and publications content
• Support in responding to pitches and pro-active proposals
• Ability to work with multimedia software, drafting and developing content for digital, video, graphics and interactive, to include recording voiceovers and audio transcripts
• Use platforms to create content, such as content management systems
• Ensure all work is backed up and archived following the approved process
• Responsible for managing the digital asset library. Cataloging, archiving and uploading with meta-data tags and descriptors
• Where required plan, prioritise and identify resources required to deliver jobs to budget and deadline
• Basic design and film editing skills are desirable
Editing and Proofreading
• Editing and proofreading to deliver high-quality, accurate copy, based on best-practise SEO and content strategies, including making updates in InDesign, reviewing content, subtitles and audio descriptions for all media projects
• Responsible for ensuring consistency of message across integrated campaigns and projects
• Be the accessibility champion within the agency, briefing on developments internally and externally, and proactively drive and challenge accessibility standards within all projects
• Maintain and develop processes and systems to support accurate and efficient proofreading and editing, including staying up to date on the latest software available
• Quality check content created by all the creative team, including ensuring amends have been actioned
• Proactively record changes in project scope and identify potential impact
• Responsible for the promotion of the agency – creating a content and communications strategy implementing, reviewing analytics, and making recommendations to increase awareness and drive engagement – including managing the social media channels, ensuring the website is updated regularly, writing case studies, managing, and developing regular eComms and any new initiatives
Communications, Team & Relationships
• Identify and embrace opportunities for collaboration within projects, and where there’s potential to upsell creative ideas
• Work closely, positively, and effectively with the Account Management team and clients
• Present ideas and presentations to clients
• Respond to feedback in an appropriate manner, listening and providing advice
• Understand how to work within a budget allocation of a brief and within the production workflow, working with the Production Manager
• Ensure content is accessible to all end users and the regulatory and legal requirements when using media assets such as copyright, intellectual property rights, web accessibility etc
• Develop, maintain and use professional networks
• Support and contribute to developing the agencies reputation, including sharing knowledge, regularly contributing to blogs etc
• Develop and deliver workshops and training as required
• Act as a role model to other members of the team in championing ER values and behaviours
• Stay abreast of the latest trends, innovations, emerging technologies, and standards, and apply these to projects; continuously developing and maintaining own skills and developing knowledge in new areas
• The role is a task and project driven role that may require work outside of core hours and is drive by schedules and by delivery deadlines. The post holder may therefore be required to work both flexible and extended hours to deliver
• Undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time to further the work of Creative Media or the wider University
Supports equality and values diversity, moderates own behaviour to avoid unfair discriminatory impact or bias on others.
Level of knowledge and/or educational qualifications required:
• All relevant qualifications or equivalent work experience in creative copywriting and proofreading
• Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including excellent spelling, punctuation, and the use of grammatically correct English
• Proven experience in a copywriting and proofreading capacity within an agency or similar environment
• Demonstrable experience in writing copy for commercial audiences
• Evidence of working within a brand identity and guidelines
• Attention to detail and accuracy are essential
• Substantial knowledge of preparing content for a variety of audiences and formats
• Strong conceptual skills and the ability to present ideas clearly
• A good understanding for developing content for great user experiences
• A passion for creating content for creative and digital media, and continuously developing knowledge and skillset
• Ability to adapt and quickly learn new software tools, and being open to new approaches
• An ability to work effectively both individually and as part of a team
• Where necessary to persuade those, who are in a more senior position
• Strong positive inter-personal and communication skills
• Ability to problem solve
• A strong work ethic to build and maintain positive relationships with the internal team and with clients
• Able to work well under pressure and manage workload effectively to strict deadlines
• Proven ability to work on multiple projects whilst maintaining strict attention to detail
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite
• Familiar with CMS, including WordPress and SEO best practice
• Handling confidential data
• Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day-to-day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly
Level of previous experience required:
• Significant s relevant experience
• Significant experience of working alongside creatives and clients to engage and inform from a content perspective
• Practical experience in successfully applying the relevant skills and techniques for the role, including portfolio evidence
• Experience of working with commercial brands
• Understands the importance of equality and diversity in the workplace
• Ability to identify and respond to equality and diversity issues in line with relevant policies and procedures
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working
28.10.2021, 7:57:22 AM
Salary (Pay Basis)
Advert Close Date
30.11.2021, 11:59:00 PM