At Alstom, we understand transport networks and what moves people. From high-speed trains, metros, monorails, and trams, to turnkey systems, services, infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility, we offer our diverse customers the broadest portfolio in the industry. Every day, 74,000 colleagues lead the way to greener and smarter mobility worldwide, connecting cities as we reduce carbon and replace cars.
Could you be the full-time Project Engineer in York we’re looking for?
The Project Engineer is based on site at various locations around the UK, supporting the onsite construction activities and project integration activities. The Project Engineer is also required to support the integration of the project design activities at one of our centres of excellence around the UK.
The role also has a client-facing dimension supporting the Principal Project Engineer to resolve technical issues and the Project Management teams to achieve the on time delivery of the project.
These projects use the wide range of Alstom signalling technologies including the SMARTLOCK 400T system, Modular Control Systems and VHLC. These projects are multidiscipline, complex and are strategically important to our clients. Our engineering teams are supporting some of the most significant projects within the UK, such as Bristol Resignalling, Crossrail, Felixstowe and the Leeds capacity enhancement.
Manage and undertake the required engineering activities within the following areas:
• Subcontract management, system definition, requirements capture, compliance management, integration of designs, construction integration, CDM (Construction, Design and Management Regulations), safety assurance activities, project programme, system validation, commissioning, handback and project closeout.
• Implement the organisation’s engineering management system within the local project location and across multiple sites when required. Support the Principal Project Engineer with technical guidance, leadership, site safety and monitor the project’s performance to maximize efficiencies and project delivery.
• Coordinate the design activities between the Design Delivery Managers, ensuring project disputes and challenges are resolved in a consistent way. Ensure that suitable project plans are in place to support efficient resource management, staff development and succession planning to meet the requirements of the business and projects.
• Support the develop project technical instructions to enable the project methodology and the required installation activities. Perform technical inspections on regular basis and take corrective action to resolve problems identified. Assist with the development of engineering design details based upon the project technical requirements.
• Mentor, coach and train other Project Engineers when required to support the businesses sustainability plan.
• Support the Principal Project Engineer to functionally manage the Project Engineering activities at the local site, taking responsibility for the safety, professional / technical development and welfare of the team.
• Undertake design reviews on behalf of the Principal Project Engineer to ensure that Design is delivered to programme and the output is compliant with defined scope and the applicable standards. Ensure integration of design, installation and testing activities and that the end product meets the client specification and has technical integrity. Have the capability and technical knowledge to act as the Contractor’s Responsible Engineer or Contractor’s Engineering Manager on contracts as required.
• Implement and maintain best practice signalling engineering processes as part of a continual improvement plan to increase efficiency and minimize cost of non-quality and technical / delivery risk. Carry out technical audits as required by the Principal Project Engineer as a means of ensuring the project is following agreed applicable standards and practices. Support the Principal Project Engineer with the production and identification of RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety) analysis, Management of project FRACAS (Failure Reporting, Analysis and Corrective Action System), system risk, risk mitigation, method statements and work package plans.
• Support SS&I business development with tendering activities ensuring the quality of estimates, system description, system architectures, implementation strategies and methodologies. Provide governance and assurance to all tendering activities ensuring assumptions and execution risks are captured during the tendering process.
• Support the Competence Manager with the execution of the IRSE licensing scheme and the internal competence management scheme.
• Ensure engineering delivery and technical change is integrated with design, possession planning, installation, test, other disciplines and provide a mechanism for effective communications throughout the SS&I business.
• Undertake mentorship, coaching and give seminars to support the succession planning throughout the Engineering business. Support the Principal Project Engineer with the Performance Management process and staff development activities for the local teams when required.
• Highlight and document project derogations or temporary non-compliances as required by the Principal Project Engineer.
• The role is based at a project location within the UK and travel to other project locations, client offices and design offices will need to be undertaken when necessary.
• To take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and other persons who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work. To co-operate, as far as is necessary, with any statutory requirement placed on the company. Ensure that you do not intentionally or recklessly interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interest of safety or welfare. To bring to the attention of your manger any perceived shortcomings in Health and Safety arrangements, situations or processes that are considered to be serious or which may present dangers to yourself or others.
• To only undertake safety critical or safety related activities that complies with your relevant competence or authority to work
• Good communications skills
• A1 audit skills
• Engineering Manager (Lead Engineer) (6.8.110) plus module F (Project Engineer) or Project Engineer 1.2.230 IRSE licence.
• Working in signalling design, installation or testing, with knowledge of railway construction methods and materials used
• Undertaking and supporting risk assessments
• Organising and managing a large number of complex tasks
• CSM trained in project engineering safety management processes
• MSc or BSc degree level education in an engineering discipline
• Valid PTS (Personal Track Safety) Certificate
• Corporate membership of the IRSE (Institute of Railway Signalling Engineers) with IEng or higher
• Extensive experience of applying RSSB, Network Rail and Industry recognised standards
• Knowledge of Alstom processes and procedures
• Business management
• Extensive experience of operating within a single discipline project environment either within design, test or project engineering.
• Line and team managerial experience
You don’t need to be a train enthusiast to thrive with us. We guarantee that when you step onto one of our trains with your friends or family, you’ll be proud. If you’re up for the challenge, we’d love to hear from you!
Important to Note
As a global business, we’re an equal-opportunity employer that celebrates diversity across the 70+ countries we operate in. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace for everyone.
At Alstom we will consider requests for flexible working on hiring. Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
Alstom U.K. is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive working environment where all our employees are encouraged to reach their full potential, and individual differences are valued and respected. We aim to have a welcoming and inclusive environment for individuals, of different ages, genders, ethnicities, disability, LGBT, religion and/or belief.
As a ‘Disability Confident’ employer, we will interview all disabled job applicants who match the essential criteria of the job description or specification: if you require any reasonable adjustments, please let us know.