As a Principal Engineer you will be part of a growing UK Roads team and the role will combine managerial leadership (there will be line management responsibilities for the diverse team ranging from Apprentices to Senior Engineers) with technical responsibility. You will guide the team and our clients through approval processes including the discharge of associated conditions. Utilising your communication skills, you will support and develop staff members through mentoring and guiding team members in their technical and continued professional development. You’ll promote our health, safety and well-being policies and ensure these are adhered to within the team as well as ensuring design outputs meet our quality obligations and requirements set out in our Business Management System (BMS). Additionally, you will present technical advice to both clients and various stakeholders.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Managing a portfolio of design packages involving multi-disciplinary design teams
- Controlling project budgets and managing resources
- Showing technical leadership and possessing in depth technical knowledge in Highways Engineering or a related subject
- Assisting Project Directors on major schemes and with business development initiatives
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Chartered with a relevant professional institution such as ICE or CIHT (or equivalent) or possess significant relevant highways or highways-related design engineering experience
- Capable of collaborating within a team and coaching team members
- Good time management skills with the ability to prioritise your workload effectively
- Experience working in a technical and commercial environment
Although not essential, it would beneficial if you are degree qualified in Civil Engineering (or a related discipline) and are also a chartered member of a professional institute. Ideally you have demonstrable experience in leading the design process in a design & build environment on major roads projects including directly interfacing with the contractor at all stages of the process. If you have any experience in NEC contracts or quality requirements as well as experience preparing and procuring contracts this would be advantageous as would the ability to interpret client requirements and produce engineering proposals.
The Roads Design Resource Group is primarily based in the UK, delivering projects to clients such as Transport Scotland, Highways England, major contractors and local authorities. We specialise in design and construction, progressing schemes from option identification and appraisal, promotion through statutory procedures, preliminary and detail design to supervision of works on site. We also provide advice on procurement options and administer contracts from tender assessment through interim valuations to settlement of final accounts.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture; Our dedicated inclusive recruitment page provides more information on our efforts and recognitions.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we support our staff to create work-life balance which works for them and welcome candidates looking for career flexibility. We are open to discussing flexible working at interview stage.
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.