Paralegal – Specialist Real Estate Services
Paralegal – Specialist Real Estate ServicesAdd Job to My Job Selections
- Birmingham, United Kingdom
About the role
Our business is growing and we are looking for Paralegals to join the team to provide support and work within the property team. Your primary role will be to work within the team that focusses on securing legal property rights for electric apparatus to ensure the safe operation of the electricity network. The needs of the business may change over time and you may in due course be required to undertake alternative work types instead of, or in addition to, this primary role.
The team is structured with senior fee-earners, and paralegals and takes a streamlined approach to the work it undertakes.
This is an opportunity to truly increase the depth and breadth of your experience, and be able to work with high profile and sophisticated clients. The work is challenging, varied, and interesting and will provide opportunity to develop and nurture solid client relationships, as well as work closely with others within the team and firm.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Receiving instructions from clients. Opening files in our systems within timescales required. Scanning, copying and eFiling deeds, documents and communications;
- Requesting conflict searches and reviewing/eFiling results for team members. Updating the case management system appropriately;
- Using the Land Registry online portal to obtain and review copy entries and title plans, carrying out searches, processing post completion work such as the registration of leases, cancellation of leases and noting of easements;
- Assisting lawyers in dealing with transactions such as preparing first drafts based on precedents; making calls to progress a transaction; dealing with client reporting procedures;
- The use of a case management system to maintain records and other IT systems for the maintenance of records, document storage and financial information;
- Title check official copy entries, highlighting anything of concern and documents which should be ordered to the fee earners and carrying out searches and reporting on the search results and title to the fee earners;
- Assisting fee earners with their management of financial hygiene and preparation of billing forms and schedules;
- Assisting with client reporting, entering and updating data in spreadsheets for client reporting /updates, scanning, uploading, downloading and eFiling of deeds and documents, correspondence and other communications via online portals, deal rooms or data rooms;
- Taking matters through to completion checking that all necessary documentation is in place;
- Carry out post completion work on the volume property transactions with supervision where required;
Working in an inclusive, sharing and collaborative culture you will be expected to play your part in ensuring the continuing success and growth of the team. Previous experience of working in a legal environment would be helpful but is not essential as training will be given.
You should be able to:
- Manage your workload to tight deadlines, remain calm under pressure and prioritise your workload effectively;
- Work in a team environment (this may include working as part of a bigger project team) and support your colleagues;
- Communicate appropriately and confidently at all levels within the team and the wider business as well as with clients, agents and other parties in person, by phone, letter, email or other communication means;
- Use your initiative to solve problems.
What We Can Offer You:
The opportunity to work for a firm which has been recognised as one of the top 10 best places to work in the UK and has been ranked by Great Place to Work® for 22 consecutive years.
Excellent benefits, including:
- A hybrid approach to office and remote working, with up to 50% remote working available.
- 25 days annual leave, with the option to buy up to a week’s extra annual leave
- Free private medical insurance, and the option to add family members
- A generous pension allowance
- Life assurance covering four times your annual salary
- The chance of a three-month sabbatical every five years
- Maternity, paternity and adoption leave schemes
- A range of health and wellbeing programmes
- State of the art offices, in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, with an onsite restaurant
- Opportunities to flourish in your role through training and personal development
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone’s potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.
If you have any queries in relation to this position or would like to see a full job description please contact Jess Swingler: firstname.lastname@example.org