Reports to: Managing Director
To manage and lead all Operations processes for factory and on-site installations of pipework fabrication. This includes all aspects of production of the high quality manufactured and assembled products, on time, to budgeted cost, and within applicable compliance standards.
1. Systems / Commmercial
• To co-ordinate the strategic and daily activities of both off-site and on-site Operations.
• To ensure that adequate process controls and reporting mechanisms are in place to deliver efficient levels of customer satisfaction – Quality/Cost/Timing.
• To manage and report the financial KPI achievement of targeted cost performance, including labour, stock, WIP, purchasing and logistics.
• To optimise the planning of projects to maximise the scheduling of invoicing of goods and services to the customer, and assisting with forecasts.
• To deputise for the MD from time to time when requested.
2. People / Training
• To champion a clear channel of communication and co-ordination between functional counterparts in the business.
• To constantly monitor and appraise the performance levels of all personnel reporting to the position, identifying and implementing training development.
• To implement agreed corporate personnel policies within a teamwork culture and a fair and flexible approach to disciplinary procedures.
• Ensure that there is a Succession Development Plan in place to protect the business long term and promote a culture of controlled progression through the organisation.
3. Quality / Process Improvements
• To execute the Operational vision for the organisation, formulating the implementation of long and short-range plans, policies and programs.
• To effect continuous improvement and production cost reductions utilising Continuous Improvement techniques within an ERP-type environment.
• To ensure that operational methods, techniques and site services are constantly assessed, recommending and implementing the agreed project actions.
• To regularly monitor quality standards / environmental, health and safety standards, and personnel standards so as to ensure appropriate compliance.
• To ensure the workforce carry out their work safely in the interests of other employees and themselves, in compliance with current legislation, Environmental , Health & Safety procedures.
1. Production Output vs Plan
2. On-Site Rate vs Plan
3. Labour & Material Cost vs Sales Order
4. Customer Quality
5. Customer Delivery & Invoicing
6. ISO 9001 – Quality
7. ISO 14001 – Environmental
8. ISO 18001 – H&S
9. HR protocols
Knowledge & Experience:
• A graduate in Mechanical or Production Engineering. An HND qualified candidate would be accepted if supported by an outstanding and directly related career.
• Commercially aware and must have Production or Manufacturing managerial experience (minimum 3 years) in a process disciplined environment.
• Ideally (but not mandatory) an awareness of managing on-site skilled employees and sub-contractors with a construction environment or similar.
• Strong organisational skills with experience in the implementation of Continuous Improvement and “Lean” as well as demonstrable “Problem Solving” initiative.
• A skilled planner with relevant knowledge of management skills and operational rigour.
• Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, with very strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to develop a good rapport with all levels of staff and ability to communicate, with credibility both internally and externally.
• A strong team player with the tenacity to drive through change in a manner which will instil confidence in and gain respect from the workforce and supporting management team.
• Computer literate with a proven desire to work with data (preferably within an operational ERP/MRP environment).
• Self motivated and enthusiastic leader with ability to work well under pressure.