As a Transport Modelling Lead at HS2 Ltd you will lead the development and maintenance of the suite of strategic transport models used to assess the impact of HS2 on passenger demand, benefits and revenues. These transport models are used to help inform the case for HS2 and to support decisions on the design, construction and operation of the new railway.
The role holder will lead engagement with senior stakeholders and technical experts within HS2 Ltd and the Department for Transport (DfT), as well as lead HS2 Ltd’s engagement with the wider transport sector on demand forecasting and model development issues. They will provide technical authority and sign off within HS2 Ltd. The role holder will manage a team of analysts and will actively contribute to the Economic and Commercial Analysis (ECA) management team.
About the role:
- Strategic and technical oversight of HS2 Ltd’s strategic transport model, the PLANET Framework Model (PFM), ensuring that it remains fit for purpose and that its development anticipates future needs. This includes defining and delivering a strategy for the on-going development and ownership of PFM
- Strategic and technical oversight of other transport models used by HS2 Ltd, including the HS2-modified version of Moira and various revenue models
- Lead the identification and (where appropriate) development of new models to support detailed design decisions relating to the design, construction and operation of HS2
- Ensure that the assumptions and data underpinning HS2 Ltd’s transport models are fit for purpose. Where required, the role holder may be responsible for commissioning external research and surveys to ensure that the evidence and data underpinning the models are up to date and robust
- Provide strategic leadership to a team of four transport modellers. The role holder will be expected to define and deliver a programme of model developments and updates which progressively enhances the capability, efficiency and robustness of HS2 Ltd’s suite of transport models
- Build strong working relationships with stakeholders, providing HS2 Ltd’s subject matter expertise in transport modelling. Lead engagement with the project sponsor (DfT) to ensure that HS2 Ltd’s modelling represents best practice and aligns with published guidance (e.g. DfT’s Transport Appraisal Guidance)
- Lead a diverse functional team, setting objectives, building capability, reviewing performance and participating in recruitment and resourcing decisions to ensure that staff have the necessary skills and understanding to deliver the team’s objectives
- Establish and agree key performance targets and financial budgets for the Transport Modelling team
- Provide strategic oversight of a significant programme of analytical contracts with external suppliers, ensuring HS2 Ltd secures value for money through its procurement and contract management
- Oversee the approach to quality assurance across all of HS2 Ltd’s transport, economic and commercial modelling and analysis. Embed a strong culture of quality assurance within the team and supply chain. Represent ECA within HS2 Ltd and with the DfT on matters relating to model assurance
- Participate in the leadership of the wider ECA team by inputting into prioritisation and planning and by supporting the delivery of a portfolio of analytical projects
- Actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Transport modelling and analysis skills, at an expert level, developed through application to a range of transport schemes and their appraisal
- Setting the strategic direction of complex analytical programmes while offering authoritative advice on good practice
- Ability to manage complex programmes of work delivered by a range of internal and external suppliers to demanding timescales, with a focus on quality and the management of risks
- Exemplar communication skills, enabling the translation of key messages from analytical work for a variety of audiences, including non-specialists and senior decision makers, and for use in the public domain
- Proven ability to deliver programmes that embed robust quality assurance processes, and knowledgeable about analytical quality issues
- Management skills to develop internal teams and lead suppliers to deliver complex analytical projects
- An undergraduate degree or postgraduate qualification with a significant mathematical or numerical element and/or a postgraduate qualification in a transport-related topic, e.g. transport planning
- Thorough understanding of the sources of guidance and industry best practice that define transport modelling methodologies
- Expert level of understanding, gained through practical exposure, of the issues associated with developing and applying mathematically based transport models to options analysis and/or the economic assessment of transport schemes
- Understanding of the audit and assurance processes required of models used to inform high profile decisions, including industry guidance and best practice
- Understanding of management tools and techniques used to develop analytical projects, and the performance of team members, whether leading internal teams or as the client for an external supplier
- A background of engaging effectively with transport experts from the wider industry and academia to ensure that modelling / analysis is based upon the best available evidence and practice
- A proven record of leadership; setting the strategic direction and securing buy-in from their teams, colleagues, clients and key external stakeholders, by developing productive relationships
- A strong track record in being able to select the most appropriate data, methodology and modelling platform for different types of analysis
- A proven record of defining and leading the delivery of complex analytical projects to inform high profile / high value decisions
- Significant experience of leading teams to deliver successful products / outcomes
- The post-holder is expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff – living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential.