As a Legal Counsel (Commercial) at HS2 you will deliver a full range of expert legal advice to HS2 Ltd and key internal stakeholders in order to optimise contractual outcomes for HS2 in relation to a variety of subjects (including supply chain, utilities, local authorities, etc) and support HS2 Ltd’s compliance with legislation and regulations with respect to HS2’s program of work, with minimal supervision.
About the role:
- Assisting with the provision of high quality legal support including drafting documents and providing advice to staff at all levels on all aspects of commercial/contracts law in connection with HS2 LTD (including in relation to the procurement and negotiation of high value, complex construction, funding agreements and other contracts, corporate law, intellectual property, and finance and technology issues), to ensure that the Company is not exposed to undue risk and that consistent business standards are adhered to
- Assisting with provision of statutory advice as required
- Assisting with advice on resolution of contractual claims and disputes (including supporting, but not directly conducting, litigation or arbitration using external lawyers where appropriate)
- When required, manage the provision of external legal support including responsibility for managing and monitoring cost, assisting with the setting of budget and timescales and managing quality
- Contributing to the preparation and drafting of reports and briefings for senior management to support the decision-making process including liaising with senior lawyers and policy advisers across relevant government departments
- Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Ability to produce and present complex documents and reports to a variety of audiences, including internal stakeholders at various levels in the organisation
- Ability to prepare complex legal drafting without supervision
- Ability to influence stakeholders at all levels of the organisation and externally, and to build effective working relationships
- Problem-solving skills, including working without established precedent or procedure
- Ability to balance and prioritise numerous tasks, while maintaining attention to detail, and to deliver to agreed deadlines
- Advanced planning and organisational skills
- Flexible approach with experience of working within a multidisciplinary team on a wide range of commercial legal issues
- Qualified solicitor or Barrister with contracting or construction experience, gained in a “client” and/or a “contractor” environment
- Has specialised in contract law and/or procurement law, preferably with a focus on Major Projects
- Experience of managing the provision of external legal advice within defined budgets/scopes
- Experience of public sector procurement processes
- Problem solving experience
- Recent and relevant commercial legal experience of UK based construction or infrastructure projects, or experience of dealing with Government Departments, utilities or transport projects, gained either in house or in private practice
- Experience of serving as the main point of contact to clients
- The post-holder is expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff – living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential.