Lecturer in Teacher Education – Primary Foundation Subjects (Teaching Focused) – Education – Grade 8 – 97442
School of Education
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £41,526 to £49,553. With potential progression once in post to £55,750 a year.
Closing Date: 18th June 2021
Interview Date: 8th July 2021
The Department of Teacher Education in the School of Education, College of Social Sciences is seeking to recruit a Lecturer in Primary Education with specialism in one or more of the Foundation subjects. This post holder will join our primary ITE team and work will be agreed according to interest and strengths.
The post holder will lead on the teaching and assessment of ITE students in foundation subjects; recruit, interview and select students; and undertake personal tutoring and school visits. Experience and/or additional specialist knowledge of primary special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) would be welcome. In addition, there will be opportunities for involvement in our MA Teaching Studies, as well as to the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching across the School.
Teaching is likely to include a substantial contribution to: (a) the management, development (including programme/module review) and delivery of teaching and assessment; and (b) enhancement of the student experience or employability. The role will typically also involve developing and advising others, including: (a) providing expert advice to staff and students, (b) supervising and examining masters (and PhD students where appropriate), and (c) developing and advising others on learning and teaching tasks and methods.
Management and administration is likely to involve contributions at Departmental and School level, and/or making an important contribution to some managerial/leadership activities (e.g. working groups) within the University. This may include developing and making substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement, public engagement, widening participation, schools outreach, or similar activities at Department/School level or further within the University.
While this is a teaching-focused appointment, the post-holder will also be supported to contribute to scholarship and knowledge exchange in their specialist area.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Using a variety of methods in teaching and advising individuals and groups of undergraduates, postgraduates, or CPD students, including (as appropriate):
- teaching and examining courses at a range of levels;
- planning and reviewing your own teaching approaches and encouraging others to do the same;
- developing programme proposals and making substantial contributions to the design of teaching programmes more widely;
- where appropriate, undertaking and developing the full range of responsibilities in relation to supervision, marking and examining;
- developing and advising others on learning and teaching tasks and methods;
- devising and supervising projects, student dissertations and practical work;
- developing and making substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement, public engagement activities or similar on own specialism that enhances the student experience or employability and which benefits the College and University;
- engaging in scholarly activity to make a significant contribution to the pedagogical knowledge base of the subject that advances teaching through the enhancement of practice, the development of teaching resources and/or through practice-based research;
- contributing to debate nationally about new approaches to policy, methods and practices through publications, conferences, and activities that advance quality in the field.
Contributing to Departmental/School administration, including:
- contributing to the administration/management of research and/or teaching across the Department/School;
- advising on personal development of colleagues and students;
- making a major contribution to some administrative activities within the University (e.g. appeals panels, working groups);
- managing enterprise, business development, and public engagement activities;
- developing and making substantial contributions to knowledge transfer, enterprise, business engagement, public engagement, widening participation, schools outreach.
- Normally, a higher degree relevant to the research/teaching area (usually PhD) or equivalent qualifications, or near completion
- Recent teaching experience in school or on a programme of initial teacher education
- Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- Extensive research/teaching experience and scholarship within subject specialism
- Proven ability to devise, advise on and manage learning/research
- Skills in managing, motivating and mentoring others successfully at all levels
- Record of research/scholarship and agenda for future research/scholarship
- Commitment to and experience of teaching for equality, inclusion and social justice
- Ability to design, deliver, assess and revise teaching programmes
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success in developing appropriate approaches to learning and teaching, and advising colleagues
- Experience and success in knowledge transfer, enterprise and similar activity that enhances the student experience or employability
- Ability to contribute to School/Departmental management processes
- Ability to assess and organise resources effectively
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/ administration processes
For informal enquiries please contact the Primary ITE Programme Lead, Nicola Smith, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The University is committed to safeguarding and we promote safe recruitment practice, therefore all associated pre-employment checks will be undertaken before any appointment is confirmed.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken in this role all successful applicants will be subject to a satisfactory Occupational Health and/or DBS clearance prior to appointment.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity at The University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community’
see attached JD