VoCoVo Company Overview
VoCoVo are a leading voice & technology brand working with some of the world’s biggest retailers. You may have seen our equipment in places like Tesco’s, Co-Op, TK Maxx, Primark and Pets At Home to name a few… We now have over 50,000 people in 5,000 locations using our product every day!
The business was recently proud to achieve 5th place in the Sunday Times Tech Track 100 and we have also achieved 2,500% growth within the last 4 years here in the UK. We are now looking to cement our position as a leader in this field by expanding our reach into Europe and North America.
To help us achieve our vision we are looking to fill this new Communications Engineer position.
Purpose of the role
At VoCoVo our Communications Engineers are the heart of our flagship product. This role will report to the Team Lead and work with the Product Owners. You will be developing software to be run on our rapidly growing estate of thousands of powerful IoT-like hardware units, located inside each of our customers’ stores.
Accountabilities of this role
- Developing robust, scalable software for our estate of hardware devices
- Thought leadership on both uncharted problems and legacy software.
- Researching new solutions.
- Owning your domain, taking responsibility for everything you see deserving of change.
- Mentoring of our less experienced developers
- Recruitment involvement, when expanding the team
- Peer review of your colleagues’ work.
- High availability and flexibility, to always “pitch-in” on a problem.
- Close liaison with Product Owners to help them break down work appropriately, or understand complex problems for feedback to stakeholders.
Skills and qualifications required
- Expertise in MySQL, Redis, Mongo, Postgres or similar.
- Strong experience of microservice architectures
- Strong experience of MQTT and/or streaming message systems
- Strong experience of virtualisation solutions like Docker, Docker-compose, Kubernetes
- Strong experience of event-driven development.
- Good understanding of security and cryptographic concepts.
- Good working knowledge of GNU/Linux.
- Confidence in making architectural decisions that stand the test of time, with robust research.
- Analytical problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills, and able to explain complex topics clearly.
Nice to have skills and qualifications
- Prior experience of Finite State Machine patterns.
- Telephony/VOIP communication systems & software.
- Hardware integration testing.
- Embedded systems experience
What we can offer you:
- A truly unique challenge in one of the UK’s fastest growing companies
- An autonomous role where you are the master of your own destiny
- Lots of personal career routes & opportunities as we scale
- A business with the goal of becoming a Times Top 100 Company
- Team culture with an employee-wide bonus scheme linked to annual results
- A sector where you will see the outcomes of your work in everyday life
- 99% remote (we’d love to meet you in person, from time to time)
- Generous remuneration package
- Company bonus scheme
- 25 Days holiday + bank holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance & Private medical insurance
- Employee assistance programme
- Cycle2Work scheme
- Enhanced maternity & paternity package
- Training & development