Professional Services, Central Staff Hub
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £21,000 to £22,414. With potential progression once in post to £27,268 a year
Full time – Permanent
Closing Date: 28 August 2022
Our offer to you
People are at the heart of what we are and do.
The University of Birmingham is proud to have been a part of the City of Birmingham and the wider region for over 100 years, and we are equally proud to be recognised as a leading global university. We want to attract talented people from across the city and beyond, support them to succeed, and celebrate their success.
We are committed to helping the people who work here to develop through our sector-leading Birmingham Professional programme which provides all professional services staff with development opportunities and the encouragement to reach their full potential. With almost 5,000 professional services jobs in a wide-range of functions in Edgbaston and in our campus in Dubai, there are plenty of opportunities for you to be able to develop your career at the University.
We believe there is no such thing as a typical member of staff and that diversity is a source of strength that underpins the exchange of ideas, innovation, and debate. We warmly welcome people from all backgrounds and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment where diversity is at the heart of who and what we are, and how we work.
Supporting our people to achieve a healthy work/life balance is important both to our employees and to the success of the University and, depending on the role, we offer a variety of flexible working arrangements. We therefore welcome discussions on all forms of flexible working. In addition, you will receive a generous package of benefits including 40 days paid holiday a year, one paid day a year for volunteering, occupational sick pay, and a pension scheme. We also have three high quality subsidised day nurseries.
The University is situated in leafy Edgbaston and there are excellent transport links to our beautiful campus, including main bus routes and a train station on site. On campus we have a state-of-the-art sports centre with pool, shops, places to eat and drink, our own art gallery, museum and botanical gardens.
Find out more about the benefits of working for the University of Birmingham
HR Operations sits within the Central Staff Hub and alongside Recruitment, Payroll and Pensions. Working collaboratively to provide excellent HR administrative support to all customers and stakeholders.
To provide end-to-end HR service administrative support within the HR Operations team. You will be proactively communicating directly with employees, managers, and wider HR to ensure a seamless service whilst adhering to University policies and legislation. You will ensure that advice and guidance provided are professional and customer focused at all times within our agreed service standards.
You will be working as part of a sub team, managing your own workload with support from your pod lead and the team lead. Within the wider Operations Team there will also be opportunities to work collaboratively and be involved in both ad hoc and cyclical projects.
- You will act as a point of contact to provide accurate and timely information and advice to internal and external customers and stakeholders on University processes and procedures, answering queries promptly, providing guidance and resolving queries from initial contact to resolution. This will include recognising when queries need to be referred elsewhere.
- Being responsible for self-allocation of work from within the HR Service Portal, ensuring that the agreed service standard is met, and all communications are at the quality expected.
- Being the first point of contact for staff on all HR related enquiries, providing support where appropriate and triaging and escalating more complex queries
- Developing sound customer relations, taking the time to listen to customer requirements to ensure appropriate action is taken
- Working collaboratively with both the Admin coordinators and team colleagues in the prioritisation and handling of workloads, supporting others within HR Service Delivery and the wider HR function as required
- Dealing with a full range of transactional work including but not limited to:
- Responding to basic policy queries, meeting the ‘one-touch’ aim of the HR Service
- Production of standard and manuals letters
- Payroll processing, including:
- Processing of joiners, transfers, and leavers
- Processing of changes and post administration
- Maintenance of staff data within the HR systems; e.g. changes to name.
- Review processes and tasks and proactively offer suggestions for improvement and sharing best practice as appropriate.
- Experience in office administration is a requirement
- GCSEs to a minimum of grade C/4 in English and Mathematics grade C/4 minimum (or equivalent level 2 qualification).
- Experience in a HR environment is desirable.
- Good IT skills with working knowledge of standard Microsoft Office software.
- A good understanding of how to deliver excellent customer service.
- Ability to take responsibility for specific tasks, carrying out duties without needing to refer to others, with scope for some choice and using your own judgment.
- Ability to work on your own initiative.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with others.
- Well organised with the ability to prioritise work proactively, independently and as part of a team.
- Experience of using and maintaining complex work systems e.g. HR systems or equivalent is an advantage.
- The ability to cope with change in a fast moving, dynamic environment where change is often required immediately.
Informal enquires to Hannah Kinney-Spencer email@example.com
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.
26.07.2022, 2:30:19 PM
Salary (Pay Basis)
Advert Close Date
28.08.2022, 11:59:00 PM