We’re a national law firm with a local reach. Our philosophy is ‘Expert Hand, Human Touch’ – something you’ll find in the way we work with our clients and how we support our teams. But we’re more than just a law firm – we’re a team of people working together to help individuals and businesses navigate life’s ups and downs. Working here you’ll feel a part of our friendly and inclusive environment.
We’ll value you for who you are and what you bring. We support each other and push boundaries to achieve incredible things and make a real difference to our clients and communities.
We’re always looking to support our colleagues in working in a way that best works for them. Please speak to one of our Talent Acquisition Team to find out more information about our flexible working arrangements.
As a HR Assistant, you’ll join our friendly People Services team. Even though the team is small, they’re always busy handling all sorts of HR related requests and queries. Day-to-day tasks are split equally amongst the team, so you’ll have exposure to a wide variety of HR activity right from the beginning.
Please note this is a 12-month FTC.
What’s in it for you?
This role will give you the opportunity to see first-hand how HR operates in a large professional services environment and play an important part in providing an excellent service to the business. If you’re keen to gain HR experience, this is a great team to join as you’ll deal with a variety of HR administrative tasks on a daily basis. You’ll also have monthly one to ones with your Team Leader, so you can build your experience and begin to develop your skills in HR.
What you’ll be doing:
- Generating and processing offer paperwork
- Checking HR compliance, right to work documents and coordinating checks on new joiners
- Onboarding of new starters, as well as helping to coordinate internal moves and leavers
- Handling a variety of ad-hoc queries from the business including absences, holiday requests, family leave and queries about using the HR system
- Working closely with other areas of HR and payroll to resolve colleagues’ queries as quickly and as seamlessly as possible
- A professional and approachable manner, and an ability to work with discretion and tact
- A great team player, with a willingness to get involved and share best practice
- An ability to work quickly, efficiently and accurately
- The confidence to help our colleagues at all levels across the whole business including working well with the wider HR team
- Previous HR admin experience
- Knowledge of pre-employment screening checks and right to work
We’re proud of our values, and we’re looking for people who share them:
- To be pioneering with an imaginative outlook
- To be approachable and caring
- To be tenacious in the pursuit of our objectives
- To be efficient in the provision of our services
- To work with a foundation of integrity
If this sounds like you, we’d love to receive your application.
- Flexible working options – Make work fit around your life, not the other way around.
- 25 days holidays as standard plus bank holidays – You can ‘buy’ up to 35hrs of extra holiday too
- Generous and flexible pension schemes.
- Volunteering days – Two days of volunteering every year for a cause of your choice (fully paid)
- Westfield Health membership, offering refunds on medical services alongside our Aviva Digital GP services.
We also offer a wide range of well-being initiatives to encourage positive mental health both in and out of the workplace and to make sure you’re fully supported to work in a way that best suits you. This includes our Flexible by Choice programme which gives our colleagues more choice over how they wish to work subject to role and client requirements.
We have recently been ranked in the Best Workplaces for Wellbeing for Large Organisations for 2023!
Our responsible business programmes are fundamental to who we are and our purpose. We’re committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace where our colleagues can flourish, and we have established a number of inclusion network groups across our business to support this aim.
Our commitment to Social Responsibility, community investment activity and tackling climate change is a fundamental part of who we are. It’s made up of four strands: Our People, Our Community, Our Environment and Our Pro Bono.
As part of the Irwin Mitchell Group’s on-boarding process all successful applicants are required to complete the group’s employment screening process. This process helps to ensure that all new employees meet our standards in relation to honesty and integrity therefore protecting the interests of the Group, existing employees, clients, partners and other stakeholders.
Depending on the role you apply for we may carry out checks that will establish your eligibility to work in the UK, and criminal record check and financial checks with a credit reference agency will also be undertaken.
The employment screening process will fully comply with Data Protection and other applicable laws.
Irwin Mitchell LLP is an equal opportunity employer.