UK, West Midlands, Leamington Spa
About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Geotechnical Engineer to join our team to work in Long Itchington Wood as part of our Sublot 1 Tunnels team.
To ensure that the GI Fieldwork and Laboratory Testing are carried out in accordance with the requirements of the GI Contracts and Specifications, to deliver a technically sound Factual Report
What you’ll be doing
- Observation and assurance of contractor compliance with the GI technical specifications and BS/EN standards for all on site GI activities
- Preparing and issue reports on actual and projected site activity to populate the sector GI reporting dashboard
- Issuing and monitoring the implementation of Site Instructions and other contract documentation affecting fieldwork and laboratory testing
- Scheduling samples for geotechnical laboratory testing
- Scheduling samples for geo-environmental testing
- Ensuring geo-environmental samples have been stored and handled in accordance with BS/EN standards
- Visits to GI testing laboratories for Audits
- Attending weekly Site Progress Meetings with the GI Contractor(s)
- Attending weekly GI Design and Review Meetings
- Maintaining the Site Diary/Diaries and Trackers
- Following change request processes and produce minor site instructions for Commercial sign-off
- Logging soils and rock to BS5930 and Eurocode 7 standards
- Observe contractors logging engineers for quality and accuracy of content
- Borehole monitoring installation details
- Observe and monitor functionality and quality of subcontractors equipment
- Contractor competency assurance checks in line with framework requirement CPP and RAMS
- Observe conduct of in-situ testing to ensure compliance with specification, BS/EN standards and best practice
- Observe and ensure Sampling, photographing, storage and transportation complies with Specification and Standards
- Observe monitoring activity on site to ensure compliance with specification, BS standards and best practice
- Observe Installation activity on site to ensure compliance with specification, BS standards and best practice
- Raise SI for change in sampling, extra SPTs, and extended borehole termination depths
- Monitor quality of boring, drilling and excavation to BS standards and best practice
- Understand Geological ground model for various areas across the sites
- Compare actual ground model cross-sections with predicted and adjust GI as required after discussions with DJV
- General daily observation of site activities and behaviours
- Proactively work to reduce standing time
- Review operational compliance with Risk Assessment and Method Statements
- Review of the Draft and final factual reports and AGS data provided by the subcontractor
Who we’re looking for
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card, SSSTS or SMSTS qualified
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV) is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging infrastructure project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2’s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people from the region to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 and we are looking for a wide range of skills to join the team and support this unique and ground breaking project.
Diversity and Inclusion: We aim to be a leader in equality, diversity and inclusion by creating a safe inclusive working environment for all – living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership. We are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging all staff to engage in a diverse range of year round learning opportunities and provide personal development opportunities. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Flexible working: Flexible or agile working is encouraged at BBV and we recognise the value and diversity of candidates which this can bring to our business operations. Not every role can provide a variety of working patterns to suit people’s personal needs however we are happy to discuss agile working opportunities at BBV with you.
Disability confident: We care about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse set of backgrounds and experiences. BBV is Disability Confident committed and we welcome applications from candidates with a disability.