As a Functional Integration Engineer at HS2 you’ll undertake technical analysis for the functional integration of the HS2 railway.
You’ll work within an overall process for delivering system functionality, within an overall systems integration framework, working progressively towards the end state railway.
The role undertakes systematic analysis of the operations and maintenance concept to define the functionality of the HS2 railway in terms of sub-system requirements, system architecture, interfaces and holistic technical solutions which are then realised through delivery programmes (i.e. supply contracts for railway systems, rolling stock, stations etc).
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
About the role:
- Works as a proactive member of the functional integration team within the HS2 Systems Integration department. Provides timely information on the progress of own work, including risks and issue, progress against plans, metrics and KPIs as appropriate to the type of work.
- Participates in the proactive engagement and consultation with internal HS2 teams (i.e. operations and maintenance, railway systems, rolling stock, stations, civil engineering) and external suppliers / stakeholders (e.g. Network Rail) who are required to contribute to the successful implementation of the functional integration process.
- Undertakes a variety of systems engineering work for functional integration as a subject area, making appropriate use of systems engineering tools, in particular system architecture, interface management and requirements management approaches. Provides systems engineering technical support relating to the functional integration of multiple technical sub-systems.
- Works within a functional integration process (as part of an overall systems integration framework) which enables and tracks the delivery of functionality as a part of the HS2 railway specification and delivery.
- Works as a member of the team to undertake a systematic analysis of the operations and maintenance concept to define the functionality of the HS2 railway in terms of sub-system requirements, system architecture, interfaces and holistic technical solutions.
- Ensures that functionality is instructed to sub-system delivery contracts, and subsequently engages in the monitoring, review and assurance of the holistic technical solutions that are being delivered from design through to testing and commissioning.
- Ensures that safety is fully considered in the functional integration process.
- Ensures that ergonomics and human factors are fully considered in the functional integration process.
- Supports technical assurance of the functional design during delivery phases of the railway in accordance with standards and technical requirements and where needed support in resolving issues in accordance with HS2 Governance Procedures.
- Supports sub-system discipline lead engineers and subject matter experts in the development of requirements, specifications and standards for functional Integration such that they meet HS2 operations and maintenance concepts;
- Use of best practice systems engineering techniques, technologies and processes, driving consistency and helping to identify opportunities for efficiencies across HS2;
- You will be expected to actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Provides systems engineering technical support in defining how the sub-systems of the railway combine to deliver the required functionality.
- Ability to use appropriate model-based tools for systems engineering processes.
- Understanding of railway operations and maintenance and engineered sub-systems (i.e. railway systems, rolling stock, stations in particular) and how they typically integrate and interface to deliver functionality for the end users.
- Understanding of systems engineering technics and awareness of other specialist disciplines, such as interface management, requirements/V&V management, system assurance, configuration management.
- Experience of working as a systems engineer, displaying excellent teamwork in a complex multi-disciplinary, safety critical railway engineering environment.
- Experience of the integration operations and maintenance requirements into multiple interfacing engineered sub-systems e.g. the interface of rolling stock on-board equipment with line-side equipment to delivery desired operational outcomes.
- It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff – living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.