UK, West Midlands, Leamington Spa
About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Manager to join our tunnelling team in Long Itchington Wood – Coventry.
Provide advice and support to the construction team regarding the environmental constraints and management issues in the Sub-Lot. Responsible managing / challenging / assuring construction EMR compliance and ensuring these are fully integrated into construction design, site works and programme.
What you’ll be doing
- Liaise with Environmental Substantiality team specialists as required in order to provide advice and support for the construction team regarding the environmental constraints and HS2 and Legal requirements in the Sub-Lot(s) on all environmental topics; Ecology, Landscape, Archaeology and Built Heritage, Watercourse diversions, Water resources and flood risk, Waste, Carbon, BREEAM Contamination land, Noise & Vibration, Fencing, Land and Air Quality, Agriculture, Forestry and Soils.
- Raise awareness of key environmental issues. Identify training needs and input into site training.
- Liaise with the Enabling Works Contractor on the full range of environmental co-ordination and handover for the Sub-Lot(s).
- Engage with sub-contractors and their environmental reps to embed environment requirements and effective implementation within their packages of work.
- Provide/facilitate writing of site environmental documentation.
- Investigate incidents/non-conformances and share lessons learned across the contract.
- In coordination with the EMR team, ensure that construction methodology and programme is compliant with the EMRs and the U&As via the EMR Compliance Checklist & EMR Compliance Note
- Liaise with Consent and U&A team to ensure that any compliance issues are monitored and relevant information fed back to allow discharge of environmental conditions.
- Liaise with Sub-Lot teams to gather all information needed by core team specialists or DJV for production of Dust Risk Assessments, Noise & Vibration Assessments and other environmental topic documents for Construction.
- Drive environmental / sustainability improvement and ensure that opportunities are identified and realised by pre-construction / construction teams.
Who we’re looking for
- Large scale linear project experience (eg rail, tunnels or highway).
- Experience with either a consulting engineer, main civil engineering contractor or a specialist environmental contractor.
- Experience of environmental design and mitigation
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Qualified Environmental specialist or a related discipline is desirable; membership of a relevant professional body is advantageous
- Holding a valid CSCS card
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV) is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging infrastructure project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2’s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people from the region to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 and we are looking for a wide range of skills to join the team and support this unique and ground breaking project.
Diversity and Inclusion: We aim to be a leader in equality, diversity and inclusion by creating a safe inclusive working environment for all – living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership. We are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging all staff to engage in a diverse range of year round learning opportunities and provide personal development opportunities. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Flexible working: Flexible or agile working is encouraged at BBV and we recognise the value and diversity of candidates which this can bring to our business operations. Not every role can provide a variety of working patterns to suit people’s personal needs however we are happy to discuss agile working opportunities at BBV with you.
Disability confident: We care about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse set of backgrounds and experiences. BBV is Disability Confident committed and we welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Balfour Beatty VINCI is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures; creating unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.
In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK’s infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We’ve successfully bid and delivered many key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure.