About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Advisor to join our Highways team to work on the M25/J23-27. This role will see you providing support and advice to operational teams on all aspects of environmental management, developing environmental documentation, meeting legal and company standards and helping deliver a culture of continual improvement. You will also work with Clients and Regulators to ensure their environmental requirements are complied with.
If you have or are looking for a career in Highways, working on the M25 will give you experience and challenge that no other highways project can offer.
What you’ll be doing
As an Environmental Advisor you will:
- Provide on-site advice to operations and design teams on environmental management, compliance and project specific mitigation measures including pollution control and ecology protection.
- Maintain relationships with regulators, clients, subcontractors and local stakeholders.
- Ensure on site compliance with environmental legislation and coach teams in applying controls and mitigations.
- Liaise with client, regulatory bodies and subcontractors on matters of environmental management and sustainability.
- Produce and update environmental management plans and environmental risk assessments
- Investigate environmental incidents and support the business to implement controls to prevent repeat occurrence
- Ensure implementation of the project environmental management systems on project sites.
- Keep up to date with standards and legislative changes and where applicable recommend changes to systems and processes.
- Deliver environmental training, toolbox talks and undertake onsite coaching
- Produce internal and external reports as required, e.g. case studies, environmental performance.
- Support and conduct audit and assurance activities including facilitating external audits by clients and certification bodies
Who we’re looking for
- Educated to degree level in Environmental Science, Environmental Management
- Proven experience of environment management and sustainability.
- Practical experience and knowledge of environmental legislation, ecology mitigation, environmental licences and consent applications and regulators
- Full UK drivers licence and flexibility to travel
- Understanding of the Construction operating environment
- Literate in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook
- Good interpersonal skills
- Internal environmental auditor qualification
- Masters degree in relevant field
- PIEMA or IEMA Membership
Why work for us
Our people are our biggest asset, and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package in addition to a competitive base salary and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
- Company car
- Medical health cover
- BB Pension Scheme
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Payment of an annual professional membership
- Enhanced maternity & family friendly policies
- Real career progression opportunities
- Access to our employee referral scheme
- Discretionary annual salary reviews
Balfour Beatty Highways delivers major schemes including smart motorway upgrade programmes, complex national infrastructure projects and regional investment programme works for National Highways. We have a strong orderbook and a positive pipeline of opportunities, we put our customer, the road user, at the heart of everything we do. We work safely, delivering net carbon reductions and social value to the communities within which we work.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence ‘Employer Recognition Scheme’ and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/