Employer Liaison Officer – Academic Services – 42708Z – Band 500
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £23,699 to £25,458, with potential progression once in post to £29,471
Part time – 28.8 hours per week
Fixed term contract for up to 9 months
Closing date – 13th June 2021
The post of Employer Liaison Officer is situated within and supports the work of the Employer Relations Team whom form part of a wider External Engagement Team at Careers Network. The post involves managing, organising and running large scale recruitment fairs and employer event programmes, maintaining and developing an online vacancy and events portal, establishing new business and maintaining relationships with employers wishing to recruit from the University of Birmingham.
Managing, developing, organising and running employer and information events bringing together employers, training providers, students and graduates.
- Recruitment fairs, both general and occupational specific (currently including Autumn Careers Fair, Engineering and Technology Fair, Law Fair and Internships and Work Experience Fair).
- Employers’ recruitment sessions on both online and on campus including industry sector related information sessions, presentations, drop-ins and skills based sessions.
- Events organised in conjunction with College teams within academic schools and departments.
- Events organised by external providers, such as the National Graduate Recruitment Exhibition.
Development work requirement for events
- Responsible for managing and maintaining relationships with graduate recruiters by telephone, email, online and in person to arrange their attendance at events and ensure that their requirements are met.
- Managing and hosting employer showcase events, to attract new business and maintain existing business.
- Working with internal departments to ensure appropriate facilities and support are in place for on campus events, these events including Conferences and Events, University Catering, Maintenance, Portering, Security and Estates.
- Responsible for securing employer sponsorship for Careers Fairs and other event programmes.
- Working with the Student Engagement Officer to create bespoke marketing plans to publicise events across campus using the web, email, social media campaigns, direct mailings, liaison with academic contacts and promotion in student communications.
- Ensuring online event platforms meet the needs of both our employer partners and students.
- Liaising with other Careers Network staff to ensure awareness of events and other activities taking place.
- Developing feedback systems to allow for the effective evaluation of events, collating exhibitor feedback/questionnaires and analysing data to inform continuous quality improvement for future events.
- Lead on maintaining and developing administration processes and IT systems for recording mailing lists, events bookings, exhibitor requirements and publicity mailings (using Excel, Word, Access, formstack, Mail jet and other in-house Careers Network software and databases).
- Working with the Employer Relations Events Manager to identify and pursue new business opportunities to grow the range and number of graduate recruiters participating in events via various activities such as employer showcase events.
- Provide event management advice and support for the Careers Network’s wider events programmes.
- Working with Careers Network College teams to advise on and support events activity as agreed as part of an annual planning cycle.
Employer liaison and business development
- Lead on liaising with employers to explore opportunities for graduate and work experience employment opportunities.
- Developing relationships with new businesses both larger employers and SME’s.
- Responsible for responding to employer enquires regarding potential opportunities and referring to College teams and academic departments as appropriate.
- Meeting with employers and undertaking employer visits both online and in person to generate and gather employment opportunities.
- Seek and attend relevant training and development opportunities to gain feedback from employers on business needs, industry trends and graduate labour market information.
Vacancy system management
- Maintaining and developing ‘Careers Connect’, Careers Network vacancy and events platform. Liaise with system developers to ensure the system runs at optimum effectiveness and work with them to introducedevelopments that enhance the system for both student and employer use.
Student engagement team
- Provide training for the SET on processes and systems that influence the work of the Employer Relations team such as; Careers Connect, professional etiquette, working with employers and event support.
- Manage the work load of the Employer Relations team SET assistants, ensuring work is planned and set in advance and carried out to a high standard
- To analyse and interpret student and employer event attendance statistical data.
- Accurately record financial transactions on budget spreadsheets.
- Undertaking other such duties or projects as directed by the Employer Relations Events Manager.
- A-levels or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Higher Education and the graduate labour market
- Demonstrate relevant previous experience in events organising and project management
- Proven excellent organisation and communication skills
- Positive and flexible approach to problem solving
- Experience of working in customer focused environment
- Drive and enthusiasm
- Proven attention to detail
- Evidence of ability to prioritise tasks and manage own workload
- Evidence of ability to be flexible when faced with change
- Proven strong interpersonal and team working skills
- Proven computing proficiency (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Proven ability to work well under pressure
- Previous marketing/publicity experience
Informal enquiries can be made to Rachel Quiney – firstname.lastname@example.org
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.