18-month opportunities with agreed package of works
HS2 Ltd is inviting applications for membership of the HS2 Ltd Analytical Advisory Panel. The panel will be comprised of distinguished analysts and industry experts, drawn from academia and the private sector.
The HS2 Ltd Analytical Advisory Panel (‘the Panel’) assists HS2 Ltd in the scoping, design, and delivery of its programme of analytical work to investigate the potential impacts of High-Speed Two (HS2) on the UK economy, at national and sub-national levels.
The Panel will support the Economic and Commercial Analysis (ECA) team within HS2 Ltd. ECA is the primary source of evidence, analysis, and transport modelling expertise for HS2 Ltd.
HS2 Ltd is looking to recruit x2 members for the Panel on an 18-month contract. You will have expertise and/or experience in at least in one of the following areas:
- The assurance and validation of Spatial Computable General Equilibrium (S-CGE) models, ideally in the context of transport but this is not essential; and
- The quantification of productivity impacts approximated by business user benefits of transport schemes and their spatial distribution, and/or capturing the broader range of wider economic benefits than those in standard transport appraisal methodologies.
About the role:
- You will provide individual consultation, specialist advice, and expertise on project-based assignments, including invitations to meetings and workshops arranged by thematic topic with HS2 Ltd and key stakeholders.
- You will assist in the scoping of analysis used to quantify the broader range of economic benefits of HS2, including the provision of advice on key assumptions and approaches to assessing/modelling wider economic impacts and advice on how the robustness of an approach can be demonstrated.
- You will critically review interim and final outputs, including peer review of the outputs and reporting, and make suggestions on approach and methodology.
- The time commitment for the role will be flexible. Work will be commissioned with agreement between you and HS2 Ltd, with an understanding of the hours required and the expected outcome in advance. Panel membership will be for a fixed period of 18 months, with the option to extend.
- Are a senior academic or experienced professional economist or transport modeller with extensive knowledge of, or experience with general equilibrium models, and/or the quantification and appraisal of wider economic impacts of transport schemes.
- Have experience of working with public sector organisations and delivery partners and advising non-specialist audiences on technical topics related to transport.
- Can provide constructive challenge on the use of economic analysis within a public sector context, including the use and application of Green Book and DfT Transport Analysis Guidance (TAG).
- Can bring cutting edge research findings and modelling techniques into the scoping and development of HS2 Ltd’s analytical work programme for assessing the wider economic impacts of the scheme.
- Have demonstratable experience of strategic thinking to better develop the appraisal of wider economic impacts of transport schemes, including the development and application of innovative economic models.
- The post-holder is always expected to behave in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies, and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria.
High Speed 2 will be the UK’s new high-speed rail network. As well as increasing capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between several Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
High Speed Two Limited (HS2 Ltd) is the company responsible for developing and promoting the UK’s new high-speed rail network and is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Transport. HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff – living our values of Safety, Respect,
Integrity and Leadership.
In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about adjusting, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish, and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are always required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives, and achieves their full potential.