Deputy Company Secretary
Location: London and/or Cirencester
The Deputy Company Secretary will take a lead role in overseeing the Company Secretariat’s operations and delivery of its services to its key stakeholders. The role is responsible for providing strategic governance advice and support to Directors and management within the St. James’s Place Group of companies and for leading the support provided to certain PLC Board committees and material subsidiaries.
The role is also responsible for supporting the Company Secretary with the governance arrangements for the PLC Board, deputising for the Company Secretary when required. Utilising relevant experience and knowledge, the role is responsible for overseeing SJP’s day-to-day compliance with relevant governance, regulatory and legal requirements. This role will work in close collaboration with all the Company Secretariat team members.
What you’ll be doing:
- Providing full company secretarial and governance support for PLC Board Committees and material subsidiaries including minuting the meetings of these entities.
- Deputising for the Company Secretary at PLC Board meetings (and ad hoc committees) where the Company Secretary is unavailable.
- Acting as a subject matter expert and providing support and advice to the business in a Company Secretarial capacity.
- Oversees the company secretarial and governance support provided to the Group’s material subsidiaries.
- Identifying new/proposed rules and guidelines in relation to governance and relevant regulatory requirements, assessing the impact of these and communicating them to the relevant audiences;
- Taking a lead role in the preparation of the Consolidated Group Annual Report and Accounts and the Annual Report and Accounts of the Group’s subsidiary companies, drafting governance narrative content, identifying potential reporting enhancements and ensuring that the relevant sections of the ARA complies with all regulations and guidance.
- Overseeing and managing engagement with investors and investor bodies seeking to engage on matters of corporate governance (including in relation to the executive remuneration).
What we are looking for:
- Qualified Chartered Secretary and/or commensurate legal qualification/experience.
- FTSE 350 experience at Group Company level is required – ideally within the financial services.
- Extensive knowledge of UK corporate law, listing regime and corporate governance codes and basic understanding of wider international regimes with strong experience of having to assess, interpret and apply requirements.
- Experience of providing support to Boards and Board committees of a listed PLC, in particular acting as the Secretary of meetings and providing advice and guidance to directors in the boardroom.
Some travel will be required in this role and, from time to time, there will be a need to work outside of traditional working hours, including overnight stays (as required).
Thank you for taking an interest in a career with St. James’s Place Wealth Management. We are an equal opportunities employer and committed to ensuring all applicants will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation.
Why work for us?
In joining us we aim to give peace of mind for you and your loved one’s futures. In addition to an attractive salary and eligibility to participate in the discretionary annual bonus opportunities, you will also receive an excellent benefit package including:
- Non-Contributory Pension – 10% (increasing with length of service) with further pension matching
- Meaningful protection benefits with real value, such as 10X life cover, PHI, and critical illness.
- Share schemes that enable all employees to have a stake in SJP
- Best in class terms and conditions including flexible working and 6 months paid maternity and paternity leave.
- Private Medical and Dental Insurance
- 28 days holiday entitlement (with the option to buy an additional up to 5 days)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Volunteering