Grade: Grade 3
Salary: £20,274 to £21,876 per annum (plus allowances)
Previous applicants: Previous applicants who have not been successful for this role in the last 6 months are not eligible to apply on this occasion.
Custody Officer Assistant (COA)
Are you a motivated and enthusiastic individual who enjoys working in a busy and challenging environment.
Do you have excellent interpersonal and communication skills?
West Midlands Police are recruiting Custody Officer Assistants on a 18 month fixed term contract with the strong possibility to progress to a permanent contract on successful completion of the mandatory Custodial Care level 3 apprenticeships, which would begin from 3 months from the date of employment.
Custody Officer Assistants support the Custody Sergeant in delivering a safe and secure environment for those detained in connection with a wide variety of criminal matters. Custody Officer Assistants perform a wide range of tasks including:
- Conducting timely welfare checks on detainees
- Taking fingerprints, photographs and DNA samples
- Supporting investigating officers
- Completing associated administrative duties including maintenance of computer records, preparing documentation and filing
- Utilise computer systems
- Observation of detainees
- Prepare and issue food and drink to detainees
- Communicate with internal colleagues and external agencies via email, telephone and in person
We are seeking to recruit to our custody team to meet the operational demands of the 24/7 custody environment. As part of your role you will be required to work weekends and bank holidays: allowances will be paid where appropriate.
The ideal candidate for the role of Custody Officer Assistant will have experience of working well under your own initiative and as part of a team. You’ll be able to demonstrate your ability to remain calm and deliver your role within a pressured environment. You will also be a confident decision maker with excellent communication and interpersonal skills. In addition you will:
- Be 18 years or over
- A full driving licence
- Have a minimum of GCSE grade C or GCSE grade 4 (the new numeric grading) or a level 2 in English and Maths or an equivalent level maths and English qualification
- Be computer literate
- Be able to write in a clear, concise and accurate manner
- Be helpful and compassionate
- Be prepared, with support, to work in an team environment which can at times be unpleasant and aggressive
- Willing to complete customer care level 3 Apprenticeship programme
If successful and offered a role as a Custody Officer Assistant you will be required to attend a paid four week training course in Birmingham at the start of your employment (Mon – Fri 08:00 – 16:00). This course will incorporate aspects of legislation, policy, first aid, personal safety and ICT systems.
Due to the nature of the role, preferred candidates will be required to undertake security vetting checks and undertake a medical examination.
Flexibility is required as you may be deployed to a custody suite within the West Midlands Police force area at short notice.
WMP is a large and diverse organisation where you can develop your skills, knowledge and career in an encouraging and flexible environment. We’re able to offer you a comprehensive range of rewards and benefits including:
- access to a Corporate Health Cash Plan and wellbeing website
- the opportunity to save on travel costs through a Corporate Travel Scheme
- the option to join a generous Local Government pension scheme
Diversity and Inclusion Vision: “Maximise the potential of people from all backgrounds through a culture of fairness and inclusion to deliver the best service for our communities”
West Midlands Police are currently undertaking a long term review of staff pay and conditions. The grade, pay and other terms of employment are therefore subject to review and may change in the future.
West Midlands Police is a Disability Confident Leader – the highest level an organisation can achieve under the scheme run by the Department of Work and Pensions. As part of our commitment we operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme – all candidates who declare a disability and meet the essential criteria for the role will be guaranteed an interview.