Cross Passage Excavation Engineer
The Align opportunity
The construction of the Chiltern tunnels and Colne Valley Viaduct are two of the most eye-catching and challenging engineering projects on the HS2 route. Align is the joint venture created to achieve this task – we’ve created one integrated team of specialists from three partners with global reputations: Bouygues Travaux Publics, VolkerFitzpatrick and Sir Robert McAlpine.
By joining Align you can become an integral part of this landmark project – with the opportunity to develop your expertise as the project progresses and leave a legacy to be proud of for the rest of your career.
The C1 Package includes the following elements:
- The iconic Colne Valley Viaduct which is a “structure of international significance”; 3+ km long and spanning the lakes of the Colne Valley (architectural images can be found online).
- Chiltern Tunnels – 2 x 16km long tunnels through the Chiltern Hills
- Western Valley Slopes (South Portal) – 2.5km of earthworks including the TBM launching portal and main compound in Maple Cross housing the TBM plant and equipment, main offices and tunnel/viaduct pre cast yards
- 5 x Ventilation Shafts at Chalfont St. Peter, Chalfont St. Giles, Amersham, Little Missenden and Chesham. Shaft depth between 35m-65m with diaphragm walls up to 80m deep. Headhouses at each location.
- Assist the tunnelling teams in construction of Sprayed Concrete Lining (SCL) cross passages between TBM running tunnels
- Setting out and checking of all tunnelling works (knowledge of SCL software such as Amberg or Beamer is preferable
- Liaise with the client representative and designers over design issues/changes.
- Take responsibility for checking and keeping records of delivered material, to ensure all materials used on site are in line with the specification. To include adequate checks on subcontractor materials.
- Carry out checks for quality in accordance with the inspection and test plan throughout the contract and duly record.
- Establish records, calibration documents and check registers for all instruments on site. Keep accurate records for tunnel excavation, SCL, reinforcement etc. and convey to commercial team
- Establish method statements and inspection and test plans.
- Establish and monitor detailed programme with the aim of meeting the milestones of the Project general programme
- Take reasonable care for the safety of themselves and of any other person who may be affected by what they do or fail to do at work
- Co-operate with their employers or any other persons in the performance of their statutory duties
Behaviours, Skills & Experience:
- The post holder will be educated to degree or higher level or equivalent in a numerate discipline, typically an Engineering discipline. A lower educational level, typically HNC or HND may be acceptable where a very significant level of experience in a technical engineering role can be demonstrated.
- Membership of an appropriate Professional body, typically Chartered member of Institute of Civil Engineering or an international equivalent professional status.
- Demonstrable previous relevant experience within tunnelling environment, SCL preferable
- Experience of managing or assisting with the management of programmes of work, ensuring the project runs to schedule
- Experience in managing or assisting with the management on site, monitoring, dealing with subcontractors and finding solutions to problems that may cause delays or extra costs.
- Experience leading or assisting with the leadership of site teams and mentoring them to help built a solid project team.
- Knowledge of the development and implementation of quality management
- SMSTS Accreditation
- CSCS card
- Computer and language skills
We’re ready to invest in you and your future, and offer wide-ranging, performance-related progression opportunities. Our competitive rewards packages feature flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities.
We’d love you to join us in proudly building Britain’s future heritage. Apply online now.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at ALIGN. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. As a Disability Confident employer, we commit to interviewing any candidate who disclose having a disability and meet the minimum requirements details in the job advert. If invited to interview, please inform us of any Reasonable adjustments you may need, in order to attend