As AECOM’s Marine Ecology team continues to expand, we’re looking for an experienced and enthusiastic new team member to join us. We’re a truly global business and the successful applicant will have ample opportunity to develop their skills and expertise on a really impressive diversity of exciting national and international projects. For example, our work on recent UK projects includes technical input to planning applications for the first carbon net zero power stations, interconnector cables, biodiversity net gain approaches for saltmarsh and kelp forest habitat restoration, impact assessments to support marine licence applications for ports, jetties and harbours, coastal defence projects, EPS licence applications and providing client advice in relation to the presence of sensitive species such as seahorses. Internationally, we have been working on projects in the Red Sea, the Aegean Sea, Eastern Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, Yellow Sea and the Indian Ocean, many to International Finance Corporation Biodiversity Performance Standards.
As part of our team, you would be a key player providing technical support and advice across a broad range of sectors, including high profile power and infrastructure schemes, renewables, oil and gas, industrial, and commercial developments. You’ll join a technically skilled and passionate team. We strive to provide the best advice to our clients, offering a high quality, evidence based service and to explore innovative approaches and solutions. Could you help us achieve that?
The successful applicant will have some consultancy experience in marine ecology but will be looking to broaden their skills and knowledge of EIAs and ESIAs, as well as other areas such as desk-based research, survey design and business development. You will also have the opportunity to use and develop field skills on baseline and monitoring surveys.
As part of AECOM’s freedom to grow policy, you can work from any of our ecology base locations, including London, Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds and Plymouth, and a mix of home and office-based working is available.
The appointee would undertake the following tasks as part of their role:
- Support a wide range of marine & coastal projects including EIA/ESIA screening & scoping, EIA/ESIA chapters, HRA, WFD and MCZ assessments and Marine Licence applications;
- Design, procure and/or participate in intertidal and subtidal surveys, data analysis and reporting;
- Habitat and species identification (in-situ, from drop-down video, ROV etc.), and biotope mapping;
- Undertake baseline studies in line with UK and international biodiversity standards;
- Support technical and commercial proposals including developing appropriate technical approaches, estimating fees, designing survey scope of works and liaising with subcontractors;
- Contribute to marketing and business development including the opportunity to deliver internal presentations;
- Collaborate with other environmental disciplines such as acoustics and coastal processes;
- Undertake other tasks to support the wider environmental business, as required and if interested, such as assisting with freshwater fish surveys.
We are looking for an ambitious and confident early career marine ecological consultant who can offer the following:
- Be a self-starter with excellent time management skills and motivation to work independently, though the successful candidate will enjoy a close working relationship with their marine ecology colleagues;
- Excellent written and oral communication and attention to detail;
- Organisational and time management skills;
- Knowledge of marine legislation, licencing and permitting;
- Experience of input to Environmental Statements and associated
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Sciences
Business Line Environment
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 253484BR
Additional Locations UK – Basingstoke, UK – Bristol – Portwall Place, UK – Cardiff, UK – Croydon – Bedford Park, UK – Edinburgh – Tanfield, UK – Exeter, UK – Glasgow – 120 Bothwell Street, UK – Glasgow Citypoint, UK – Leeds, UK – Manchester – Bridgewater House, UK – Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK – Plymouth – Plumer House
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.