Centre of Excellence (CoE) Managers, Birmingham
Line of service
Birmingham, Midlands Region UK
Audit – Centres of Excellence
Across all Industries
Quality is at the heart of what we do. Combining passionate people with leading technology, we work together to build trust in society. We put the team first and solve important problems by challenging the organisations we audit and being open to challenge ourselves. We take pride in our work and the profession, recognising audit as a deep specialism.
Hear from our UK Head of Audit about the evolution of the Audit and what opportunities PwC could have for you.
It’s a really exciting time to be joining us. We’re growing our teams across all areas of our Audit practice and investing a huge amount in our people, their skills and the technology available, as we continue to radically modernise our business and the way we serve our clients.
Centre of Excellence (CoE) Managers, Birmingham
As part of the Assurance CoE you will utilise cutting edge technology to execute delivery of more complex and judgmental Assurance activities virtually. Working closely with PwC Assurance teams from across the country you will improve the quality, efficiency, and innovation in the more complex areas of the audit, and have exposure to a wide range of clients from FTSE 100 to owner managed businesses across a variety of industries. The work is location agnostic with the majority of work being office based, and as such we are looking for individuals to be based in any regional UK office (with a nucleus of individuals in our Manchester and Glasgow offices).
We currently have a range of opportunities available in the areas of:
- Auditing of Pensions balances; and / or
- Auditing of Share Based Payments; and/or
- Audit of Tax
The list of areas delivered by the CoE is expected to grow rapidly, in line with the firm’s strategy, over the next 5 years. Which will create opportunities to experience new areas of the audit, to build expertise in more than one technical area and to support the growth and development of this part of our business. The Assurance CoE will provide initial training and ongoing coaching and support on the technical areas you are assigned to through weekly lunch and learns, professional skills courses, and activity leaders who act as coaches for the team.
In this position you will have a key management role on Assurance assignments where you will utilise and further develop your knowledge and skills. As a Manager within the Assurance CoE you will:
- Have flexibility in when and how you work, utilising technology and best practice virtual working to coach and interact with teams of clients remotely
- Develop strong relationships with audit clients and internal contacts for an assigned portfolio
- Play a critical role in ensuring the quality of delivery of these more complex areas, in line with technical (both accounting and auditing) requirements and operating procedures
- Be responsible for a team of individuals, providing coaching and ongoing support to ensure high quality delivery
- Provide audit and business advice to a variety of clients
- Work and liaise with other members of the audit team and colleagues in other parts of the firm as necessary to provide a high quality client service
- Utilise your strong business awareness and sound reporting skills to provide valuable insights to clients
- Have the chance to give back to community and social welfare projects, often using your business skills
- Have access to internal mobility both nationally and internationally
As part of an Assurance CoE you will make a difference by:
- Developing deep, respected specialisms in more complex areas, enabling you to perform roles earlier in your career than is typically possible
- Working with (and becoming) brilliant, high performing experts in their field
- Driving innovation and thought leadership
- Helping drive PwC Assurance strategy, by shaping a critical element of our delivery model
Successful candidates will have:
- CA/ ACA/ ACCA/ ICAS qualified (or international equivalent) or
equivalent work experience in Audit (international candidates who technically qualify in their home country by experience)
- A drive and aptitude to build deep accounting and auditing specialisms in more complex areas
- A willingness to drive change by:
- helping further define the CoE model
- embracing virtual working and other technology
- defining and leveraging our virtual working practices of the future
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, at all levels
- Strong influencing skills
- An ability to work under own initiative, and under pressure
- A willingness to build relationships with other PwC specialists to better provide a high quality, efficient and robust service
- A desire to challenge the status quo
- Demonstrable experience of managing multiple engagements
- Demonstrable experience of coaching junior members of teams to develop both technical and professional skills
- Experience in applying professional skills in the audit of pension balances or share based payments is highly desirable, but a demonstrable experience of learning new and complex technical areas is more important
This role offers the potential for flexible working. It is expected, at most, only very minimal travel will be required with the vast majority of interactions (with clients and core engagement teams) being virtual in nature.
Role closing date: 17th December, 2020
Find out more about our PwC office locations.
The skills we look for
Our people are curious and put quality first and foremost. They are inclusive and invest in themselves and their teams. They adapt to new challenges with flexibility, agility and intelligence. They speak up, role modelling constructive challenge whilst also being open to challenge themselves. They take pride in their profession, their work and their passion to deliver to the highest quality.
Valuing Difference. Driving Inclusion.
We work in a changing world which offers great opportunities for people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We seek to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool because creating value through diversity is what makes us strong as a business, enabling us to solve important problems and deliver value to our clients. We encourage an inclusive culture where people can be themselves, are valued for their strengths and are empowered to be the best they can be. As an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we also support different ways of working offering flexible working arrangements. Learn more here about our work to support an inclusive culture.