Business Development Executive – DRG, Life Sciences and Tech – (2000003Z)
Gowling WLG is an international, sector-focused law firm, built to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help them succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
As part of a 50-strong Business Development department, the Clients & Markets team is at the heart of the firms’ vision to deliver distinctive client experience. The team is responsible for outstanding business development support, client service delivery, sector-focus, client-focused growth and other major firm-wide initiatives that are central to the firms’ ambitious growth plans. As a result, there are many opportunities within this role to work closely with our partners and other internal clients as well as external clients. Joining the team at this point offers a truly exciting and rewarding opportunity.
Main Purpose of role:
To directly support the Senior Business Development Manager on all business development activities relating to the firm’s Life Sciences sector, as well as the Dispute Resolution Group (DRG) practice, which encompasses: commercial litigation, intellectual property and construction law. Also providing ad hoc support on Tech-related BD activities. The role will be based in Birmingham but travel to London will be expected from time to time.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting the Senior Business Development Manager for Tech, Life Sciences and Dispute Resolution Group (DRG) to deliver business development activities and initiatives as required; taking responsibility for tasks contributing to the delivery of the firm’s client strategy and sector focus
- Researching markets, hot topics and target clients
- Management of CRM database, setting up the sales pipeline for DRG and Life Sciences, and ensuring mailing lists are up to date and targeted; advising on the use of InterAction for business development purposes; monitoring progress on sales pipeline for a specific part of the sector/practice group
- Takes personal responsibility for developing the scope and positive impact of the role, e.g. proactively suggesting improvements to systems and processes or new ways to bring expertise to bear to the benefit of a project, the team or the wider firm
- Management of the transaction tracking process to deliver timely information on deal completions for pitches, creds, PR, awards, etc.
- Ensuring client information is accurate on InterAction to enable accurate financial, relationship and pipeline reporting
- Processing requests for BD spend for DRG and Life Sciences shared with the communications team adhering to the firm’s processes.
- Supporting the firm’s events and other communications team initiatives e.g. by ensuring mailing lists contain appropriate contacts at client/prospective client organisations within the sector/practice group
- Attending and contributing to sector meetings
- Supporting the wider business development team as appropriate (including Communications and Bids)
- Any other reasonable duties delegated by any Partner, Manager or other key stakeholder
Key Requirements, Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience in law or the professional services sector is desirable
- An interest and awareness in the life sciences sector is also advantageous
- Excellent organisational and project management skills with outstanding grammar and communication
- A self-motivated, positive team player with initiative, a can-do approach and able to build rapport at all levels
- Able to work within tight deadlines, demonstrating a flexible approach to deliver tasks and projects to time and with high quality outputs
- Numerate, able to analyse financial data, spotting trends and identifying key points
- Curiosity, drive and a desire to learn new skills and ideas
- Happy to support other individuals and teams when needed
- Excellent attention to detail with outstanding grammar, written and communication skills
- Strong IT skills, with good experience of Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience or qualification in marketing or equivalent would be advantageous but not essential
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone’s potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.
In 2019 we were recognised as one of the top ten best places to work in the UK, having being named in the inaugural Super-large category, for organisations with more than 1,000 employees.
The firm remains one of only two companies holding “master status”, having been listed every year since the survey began in 2001. It builds on the firm securing an Excellence in Wellbeing award from Great Place to Work® earlier this year – a new UK-wide recognition for organisations with leading wellbeing practices.
Standard hours of work are 9.30 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday with 1 hour for lunch (35 hours per week).
Snow Hill Birmingham
Birmingham B4 6WR
: Business Development
: Business Services