Associate – Non-Contentious Construction
Associate – Non-Contentious ConstructionAdd Job to My Job Selections
- Snow Hill Birmingham
About the team
Our construction & engineering team comprises over 50 lawyers, including 10 partners, and is one of the largest (and most experienced and respected) construction & engineering teams in the UK. We offer in-depth legal and technical expertise in every area of construction & engineering law and we pride ourselves on providing proactive and realistic advice to assist in the successful negotiation and management of contracts.
Our advice is based on detailed knowledge of the industry – its practices, procedures and processes, both on-site and off-site – and members of the team include a former quantity surveyor with practical experience of major projects.
Clients include many of the UK’s leading development, funding, residential, retail and industrial companies, a significant number of public sector bodies and major contractors.
The non-contentious construction & engineering team is in a unique position within the market, in that it acts for the holy trinity of developers, contractors and institutional purchasers/investors. As such, the team plays a leading role in numerous large scale, complex and important projects in such varied sectors as: real estate development, institutional investors, logistics and e-fulfilment, housing, infrastructure, energy/nuclear, regeneration, health care, pharma and life sciences, central and local government, hotel, retail & leisure and alternative asset classes.
The team is well known for having a real ‘team spirit’ and consists of a large number of people who trained with the firm and chose to qualify into the team. One of those (now 10 years PQE) recently commented:
“I genuinely enjoy my job, and one of the biggest reasons is the people- at all levels the team is welcoming, friendly and supportive. We work hard, but maintain good humour, and make time for one another to share advice, knowledge and experience – or just a cup of tea (and cake!)”
Examples of recent projects:
Official Legal Advisers to the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, including HQ fit-out, overlay agreements and utilities infrastructure agreements;
- Advising the developer on the forward funding and development of a 2.94 million sq ft global parts logistics centre – the UK’s largest-ever single occupier logistics build-to-suit transaction.
- The development of a new 500,000 sq. ft. office campus for Santander UK at Milton Keynes, hailed upon deal completion as the largest value building contract let in the UK since the COVID-19 outbreak;
- Highways England’s £1.7billion A303 road scheme at Stonehenge;
- Battersea Power Station redevelopment, one of the largest schemes ever delivered in London;
- Blackstone’s £4.7bn acquisition of iQ Student Accommodation;
- Global pharma manufacturing facilities in the UK, Europe and North Africa; and
- Brent Cross Cricklewood regeneration scheme, one of the largest regeneration schemes in the country, including a new rail freight facility, a new railway station, and a new waste transfer station.
About the role
To advise property developers, contractors, funders, purchasers, tenants, public sector clients and major corporates on high value, high profile construction & engineering projects across all sectors.
- Experience in any of the above areas.
- A proven ability to give pragmatic, commercial advice
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Team player who is willing to get involved in new areas of work
- Comfortable dealing with clients, under appropriate levels of supervision
- Sound drafting, negotiation and problem solving skills
- Calm under pressure
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
What we can offer you
The opportunity to work for a firm which has been recognised as one of the top 10 best places to work in the UK and has been ranked by Great Place to Work® for 22 consecutive years.
- A hybrid approach to office and remote working, with up to 50% remote working available.
- Excellent benefits, including:
- Lawyer bonus
- 25 days annual leave, with the option to buy up to a week’s extra annual leave
- Private medical insurance, and the option to add family members
- A generous pension allowance
- Life assurance covering four times your annual salary
- The chance of a three-month sabbatical every five years
- Maternity, paternity and adoption leave schemes
- A range of health and wellbeing programmes
- State of the art offices, in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, with an onsite restaurant
- Opportunities to flourish in your role through training and personal development
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone’s potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.
If you have any queries in relation to this position or would like to see a full job description please contact email@example.com