About the role
The main function of the role is to support the Engineering Delivery Teams in the delivery of all design and engineering requirements for schemes from identification of opportunities to completion of construction.
Working as part of a team responsible for ensuring that the scope of the work is clear and understood and that design produced meets requirements and the engineering solution is on time and on budget.
This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic, passionate individual who has an interest in engineering and project management for electrical substation projects up to a voltage of 400kV.
The role also includes the General, Planning and Procurement responsibilities as detailed below for delivery of substation projects.
What you’ll be doing
Asan Assistant Engineering Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard Company Quality, Health & Safety and Environmental Procedures and Business Process Manual.
- Take personal ownership of technical development of your skills and duties to ensure continuous improvement.
- Undertake works to a degree of technical standard, and assurance, consistently and with thorough self checking of works, within the delivery timescales for activities.
- Upon contract award, support the Engineering Manager in liaising and co-ordinating the contract requirements with Project Manager, customer, external suppliers and other Balfour Beatty Departments at earliest opportunity.
- Effectively control, update and report on workload progress, giving estimates to complete and highlight potential delivery problems and solutions to Engineering Manager as appropriate
- Support the Engineering Manager and Design Delivery team in the Co-ordination with other Balfour Beatty teams as necessary to specify and quantify equipment / material to achieve greatest benefit to the company.
- Support the Engineering Manager and Design Delivery team to report variations in the Contract Scope of Work to the PPPE / SPPE, indicate implications and only proceed with these variations following verbal / written approval from the Project Manager
- Meeting with Design Delivery teams to identify project requirements, delivery timelines and costs.
- Support the Engineering Manager in the Development of detailed Design project plans to guide clients, staff members and project teams and revising based on changing needs and requirements.
- Support the Engineering Manager Identifying and assigning project tasks based on the skill sets, experience and strengths of staff members.
- Support the Engineering Manager in the Monitoring project performance to ensure timely delivery.
- Support the Engineering Manager in Compiling and submitting project status reports to clients, management and other stakeholders.
- Working effectively with relevant stakeholders for efficient project implementation.
- Developing excellent leadership, customer relations and communication skills to liaise effectively with all project stakeholders.
- Work on a portfolio of engineering projects in one of ; our regions, supporting ; one of our Head of Engineering and their Engineering Managers.
- Coordinate engineering activity to deliver projects successfully to our clients such as National Grid, SSE, Scottish Power or the DNO network.
- Work collaboratively with the engineering and design team to ensure that your portfolio of projects are delivered on time, budget and specification.
- Talk positively and listen actively across the business and to the people within it.
Who we’re looking for
You will have the following:
- BENg/BSc (Hons) Engineering degree or higher. BENg/BSc (Hons) preferable.
- MSc in Project Management or demonstrable experience.
- Experience: Experience of engineering design, project administration or successful completion of a technical apprenticeship.
- Excellent administration, project controls and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of health and safety principles in line with Balfour Beattys Zero Harm philosophy and a safety by design approach.
- A good baseline of engineering or project management knowledge.
- Someone willing to challenge themselves in new situations and aspire to Engineering Manager or beyond.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from 50,000 schemes to 100 million plus major projects.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions. With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations. From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence ‘Employer Recognition Scheme’ and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/