Do you enjoy solving real-life problems and creating a positive impact on society? Do you want to work flexibly in a way that empowers you?
With Amey Consulting, you’ll work with high profile infrastructure organisations, giving you the unique opportunity to bring ground-breaking work to life. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. You’ll work in a growing team that is inclusive, open-minded and where your professional development can thrive.
It’s where you feel valued and alive.
Fresh Challenge, new opportunity
Amey Consulting’s Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks. We are passionate about the highways projects that we design and take pride in seeing our towns and cities thrive by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
National Highways, formerly Highways England, have named Amey Consulting as a Design partner to support the delivery of the largest and most comprehensive renewals programme that National Highways have ever launched. The £3.6bn Scheme Delivery Framework (SDF) enables National Highways to procure Design and Construction services across the Strategic Road Network for the next 6 years.
As a result of this framework win, we are recruiting an Assistant Highways Civil Engineer.
In this role you will work collaboratively within the highways design team to assist with the design delivery of highways and drainage schemes for our client, National Highways.
This is an opportunity to join a newly formed team working on National Highways (formally Highways England) schemes for the Midlands and South-West regions. With shared office space in Birmingham, Nottingham, Kettering, Telford, Bristol, Saltash, Exeter and Warrington, we welcome applications from Highway Designers across these regions. We are able to support flexible working around our core hours of 10-3pm and anticipate a mix of home/office working.
As an Assistant Highways Civil Engineer at Amey Consulting, you’ll see your work from early design to the very end result, and every project will be different from the last. Supported by a wider team of 20 highway designers, we’ll help you shape your career whether through further qualification, learning new skills or whatever else you need to achieve your ambitions.
We strongly encourage the development towards a professional qualification with a recognised Institution and pride ourselves on mentoring engineers. We can offer significant support towards Chartership, and you will be rewarded with a bonus of up to £5k on completion.
In a typical week you will:
- Provide support to the Engineer and Senior Engineer within the design team on various design duties including:
- Feasibility and other technical reports
- Planning, programming and cost estimation
- Design production
- Produce design schedules
- Amend design drawings
- Support development of Graduate Engineers and Technicians
- Work to programme to deliver specified designs on time
- Ensure innovation and best practice is highlighted and adopted where practicable
- Drive effective health and safety practices within your Team
We want to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You have made progress towards completion of a formal professional training programme with an appropriate professional body
- You are able to demonstrate experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Graduate Engineer role or equivalent
- You are able to produce technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements, working under supervision
- You are experienced in following procedures associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You are able to comply with technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us feel valued here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, free GP service, dental and childcare vouchers
Your Career at Amey Consulting
At Amey Consulting, we value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be yourself, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges; and we’ll give you the flexibility to work in a way that suits you.
You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.