Apprentice IT Desktop Support Assistant – 97701 – IT services – Apprentice Band 300
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is £14,882. with progression after 12 months to £18,602. a year
Apprentice Band 300
Fixed Term Contract for 18 months.
Closing Date: 6th July 2021
Our offer to you
People are at the heart of what we are and do.
The University of Birmingham is proud to have been a part of the City of Birmingham and the wider region for over 100 years, and we are equally proud to be recognised as a leading global university. We want to attract talented people from across the city and beyond, support them to succeed, and celebrate their success.
We are committed to helping the people who work here to develop through our sector-leading Birmingham Professional programme which provides all professional services staff with development opportunities and the encouragement to reach their full potential. With almost 5,000 professional services jobs in a wide-range of functions in Edgbaston and in our campus in Dubai, there are plenty of opportunities for you to be able to develop your career at the University.
We believe there is no such thing as a typical member of staff and that diversity is a source of strength that underpins the exchange of ideas, innovation, and debate. We warmly welcome people from all backgrounds and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment where diversity is at the heart of who and what we are, and how we work.
Supporting our people to achieve a healthy work/life balance is important both to our employees and to the success of the University and, depending on the role, we offer a variety of flexible working arrangements. We therefore welcome discussions on all forms of flexible working. In addition, you will receive a generous package of benefits including 40 days paid holiday a year, one paid day a year for volunteering, occupational sick pay, and a pension scheme. We also have three high quality subsidised day nurseries.
The University is situated in leafy Edgbaston and there are excellent transport links to our beautiful campus, including main bus routes and a train station on site. On campus we have a state-of-the-art sports centre with pool, shops, places to eat and drink, our own art gallery, museum and botanical gardens.
Find out more about the benefits of working for the University of Birmingham
Apprenticeship Job context
The apprenticeship is a customer facing entry level IT support opportunity within a 2nd line Desktop Support Team that forms part of End Users Services at the University of Birmingham.
The apprentice will develop skills working across End User Services completing basic IT support and moving in to different areas as the apprenticeship programme allows.
Apprentice IT Support Assistants will learn extensive customer face to face interactions, visits to deskside and remote support. You will learn to provide IT support to staff and students of the University.
You will learn how to analyse and triage calls; resolving straightforward enquiries, and passing on more time consuming or complicated enquiries to colleagues both in the Service Desk Team and in the wider University teams.
In order to flexibly use resource you may be given the opportunity to work elsewhere in the department or wider University.
Main duties you will learn
1. Providing IT support to staff, students and visitors. IT Support Assistants will typically spend 2 days a week dealing with face to face callers.
2. Developing and maintaining a good knowledge of the organisational structure in your area so as to be able to triage calls appropriately and understand the organisational impact of reported faults.
3. Where reported faults mean a member of staff is unable to work you will need to react quickly and diagnose and fix faults if possible or pass on to the appropriate person for further support. This would be both visit and remote tasks.
4. Treat everyone with dignity and respect, supporting equality and valuing diversity.
5. Installing any non-standard new PCs, service, image and redeploy existing PCs.
6. Moving and reinstalling IT equipment for office moves.
7. Obtaining quotations for staff IT equipment, under guidance, and processing orders where the quote is agreed.
8. Tracking and chasing orders which are in progress.
9. Ensuring office supplies are stocked.
10. Working with 3rd party contractors to organise and deploy IT hardware and software.
11. Implementing the tape changing process including managing the rotation of tape sets, between sites, libraries and fire safes.
12. Ensuring the asset database is accurate by adding, removing and updating records.
13. Checking and advising on the specification of equipment to feed into the rolling replacement programme.
14. Managing the disposal of IT equipment with 3rd party suppliers.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
- Microsoft Windows OS and Microsoft Office. Apple Mac would be useful but not essential.
- Basic PC troubleshooting / support skills.
- A desire to provide excellent customer service, with a friendly and helpful personality.
- Able to learn excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent time keeping.
- Able to learn how to prioritise competing demands.
- The ability to learn how to work effectively as a member of a team and unsupervised when required.
- Genuine enthusiasm for all things IT.
- A desire to continually learn and improve.
- A minimum of five GCSEs (C or above) essential, preferably including Maths and English.
- Experience of using core Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Experience of configuring mobile devices such as Phones and Tablets.
- Basic experience of IT troubleshooting, both hardware and software.
This apprenticeship would suit:
The apprenticeship would suit an individual with a positive attitude towards the provision of exceptional customer service in a demanding IT environment. They will be a, polite, trustworthy, approachable and welcoming, able to talk to customers face to face, over the phone or via electronic medium. They will be confident, able to build strong relationships with team members and customers. They will be hard working with a strong desire to learn, a passion for IT and possess a drive to advance within the IT industry.