Apprentice CNC Machinist
At Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains we offer a 42 month, award winning Advanced Apprenticeship Programme, which will tap into your passion and determination to win, giving you a real opportunity to contribute to our success story. Based at our state of the art Research and Development Centre in Northamptonshire, we are responsible for the design, manufacture, testing and racing of the Six – time World Championship winning Formula 1 hybrid Power Units used by the Mercedes AMG PETRONAS Formula 1 team. We are also proud to supply Power Units to the Racing Point and Williams Racing teams. In addition to this, we are leading the transfer of state-of-the-art Formula 1 technology into the revolutionary Mercedes AMG Road Car “Project One” and are now competing in Formula E with the Mercedes Benz EQ Formula E Team.
Job no: 496649
Work type: Student
Department: Human Resources (Div)
As an Apprentice CNC Machinist you will learn to use the latest cutting edge machinery to manufacture low-volume, bespoke, precision components within a fast-paced environment whilst maintaining extremely high quality standards, ensuring we are in the best possible position to continue winning F1 World Championships.
As a team we pride ourselves on sharing knowledge and will support you with a tailored 42 month development plan, designed to provide exposure to the breadth of engineering within F1, Formula E and Project ONE, all whilst being supported by our mentoring program. We are also pleased to have been awarded the 2017 Advanced Apprenticeship Provider by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
What can we offer you?
We offer the opportunity to work and learn at the same time to achieve your Advanced Apprenticeship Standard incorporating a HNC in Engineering or similar (IMECHE accredited). By the end of your apprenticeship you will have developed the knowledge and skills to:
- Produce the required volume of components within the required timescales to the required quality standards, making use of CAD/CAM systems and drawings as appropriate
- Set, operate and program CNC machines
- Operate the relevant inspection equipment to ensure the components are produced to the required quality standards
- Liaise with other departments (e.g. Quality, Engineering) to ensure the development of the product is optimised
- Adhere to, create and maintain standard operating procedures for machine processes and other operations
- Contribute to Continuous Improvement activities.
Our benefits package includes;
- A starting salary of £18,500pa, increasing periodically dependent upon performance
- Performance bonus
- Podium bonus based on F1 and FE results
- Company lease car scheme
- 36 days annual leave
- Access to private healthcare and generous pension scheme
- A variety of other benefits and staff discounts
What do we need from you?
- You will need to have practical experience of machining, including an understanding of machining principles. Providing examples of any machining work you have completed as part of your application would be advantageous
- Demonstrate passion for manufacturing, evidence by extracurricular projects and work experience
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, accountability, and initiative, along with taking a pride in the quality of work you produce
- Tenacious, curious and driven individuals who thrive in a fast paced environment
- A willingness to go the extra mile to help the team succeed
- For you to have completed (or be expecting to achieve by September 2021) a Foundation engineering qualification at level 2 or above.
- For you to have achieved GCSE’s at grades equivalent to a C or above (4 – 9) in Maths and English Language