Interested in transforming UK Rail and Construction? Do you have experience of managing Air Quality impacts within complex projects? Have you assessed and reviewed Air Quality deliverables? Have you experience of driving innovation in Air Quality projects?
At HS2, we are raising the bar on air quality standards and leaving a legacy for future infrastructure projects. Delivering HS2 will enable the shift from road and air to rail, improving the quality of the air we breathe and supporting the transition to a net-zero carbon economy by 2050.
Come and join us on our journey!
As an Air Quality Manager (Assessment) at HS2 you’ll provide the technical direction on air quality aspects for all phases of the project. You’ll strike a balance between working collaboratively and providing leadership internally and to the supply chain as well as ensuring project outcomes and timescales are met with value for money at the forefront of all decisions. You’ll also lead our portfolio of air quality innovation projects. The role will include working with a wide range of stakeholders including contractors, government decision and policy makers.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
About the role:
- Act as HS2 technical authority for air quality, provide leadership on air quality approach and policy.
- Be responsible for the HS2 air quality strategy.
- Be responsible for air quality technical assessment reviews and assurance for the hybrid bills and associated tasks, including Environment Statements, Petitioner responses and Parliamentary Queries.
- Assist the implementation and assurance of air quality requirements and support the development of procedures and processes as appropriate to ensure air quality requirements are clearly defined and well understood.
- Work with HS2 Phase One and Two teams, along with contractors in providing support and specialist air quality leadership and to help to ensure consistency of approach, promote best practice and value for money.
- Provide leadership to HS2’s approach to the reducing air quality impacts through the HS2 innovation process. Own and manage a portfolio of projects, securing funding, budgeting and working collaboratively with a range of partners including; contractors, multi-nationals, SMEs, Government bodies and academia. .
- Work with internal stakeholders, including delivery, engineering, innovation, commercial and environment colleagues, and project partners to influence outcomes and ensure the HS2 programme designs in and mitigates its air quality impact.
- Work with external stakeholders including liaison with Local Authorities, other bodies, Government Departments and industry associations. Acting as key technical focal point for FOI/EIRs on the topic.
- Commission and manage third party consultants and review the reports produced by third party consultants, HS2 and other departments to monitor the quality and content of the work delivered.
- Represent HS2 Ltd on industry panels and at air quality events, conferences and meetings as required. Engage pro-actively with stakeholders and statutory bodies, including Defra, CEA, Universities, RSSB and government departments.
- Participate in the Environment team’s wider objectives and work closely with them to achieve air quality objectives.
- Actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical specialists, non-technical project managers and technical stakeholders.
- Ability to technically assess and review air quality deliverables submitted by contractors
- Suitable qualifications to degree standard, experience and education to demonstrate an understanding of air quality principles.
- Experience of managing air quality impacts within complex and medium to high risk projects.
- Experience of managing complex collaborative projects with wide range of partners e.g. through innovation.
- The post-holder is expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff – living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.